How to Play Sudoku
How do you play sudoku ?To solve YouPlay's online Sudoku, every number from 1 to 9 must appear in:
- Each of the nine vertical columns
- Each of the nine horizontal rows
- Each of the nine 3 x 3 boxes
Use the mouse to click up (or down) through the numbers 1 to 9 in each square. The small black arrows on each side of the square tell you whether you are counting from 1 to 9 (right arrow) or from 9 down to 1 (left arrow).
Using the keyboard, you can type in up to eight practice numbers above the line at the top of each box.
When you have correctly completed a line, column or a 3 x 3 box it will be filled with colour and any practice numbers will disappear.
PRINT: Click to print your online Sudoku
- Available to YouPlay Premium Members only
- Selected puzzles only
SAVE: Click to save your online Sudoku
- YouPlay Premium Members receive 10 save slots
- YouPlay Members receive 3 save slots
PAUSE: Click to halt the timer if you wish to pause during game play
EXIT: Click to return to the Game Selection page
UNDO: Undo your moves one click at a time
CLEAR GRID: Undo all moves and start the Sudoku again
TOKEN COUNTER: Displays how many tokens you have won during the game
TIMER: The timer starts as soon as you open the Sudoku
YouPlay BOOST: Boost your score & multiply your points by working faster and smarter
HINTS: Click to add an extra number to help you solve the Sudoku
- All YouPlay Members receive 6 hints
Sudoku took the world by storm in 2005, quickly becoming the latest puzzle craze in both print and online formats. Often referred to as a Japanese number puzzle, in actual fact, Sudoku has a long history with ancient origins. It is thought that Latin Squares, known since medieval times, are the progenitors of the modern grid.
Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to be good at maths to solve a Sudoku! The puzzles are based on the principles of logic and recent variants have been created which use systems of letters, shapes or colours instead of numbers.
Scientific studies have recently shown that the focused mental activity used to solve puzzles can help prevent memory loss and degenerative brain disorders such as Alzheimer's - another reason to get your daily dose of puzzling fun!
The online Sudoku puzzles featured on YouPlay are presented by Lovatts Publications, leaders in the industry for over 25 years. With a reputation for exceptional quality, Lovatts Sudoku puzzles in print or online formats will provide you with hours of brain-teasing entertainment.
Sudoku fans can find variations on the classic grid here at YouPlay. Try Kakuro or Addoku online for a great twist on the original. Fancy yourself a master of the square? Fast-paced Sudoku Combat is an exciting multiplayer version that lets you challenge an opponent online in real-time.
Read the Wikipedia article on Sudoku: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku
YouPlay Online Sudoku Tips
To make it easier for first time Sudoku players we have included the following playing tips.
1. You start the puzzle with several pre-determined numbers included as givens. These cells are marked and cannot be erased. Each time you start a new puzzle, a different set of numbers will appear.
2. The object of the game is to fill the empty cells with the numbers 1 to 9, with each number only appearing once in each column, row and 3 x 3 box.
3. For each empty cell, you must determine which numbers can be inserted, according to the game rules. In the beginning you may have several options for each cell.
4. YouPlay online Sudoku puzzles have a space at the top of each cell where you can type up to eight practice numbers that could be correct.
5. As you fill out the different options for each cell, you will find that several cells have only one number option that could be correct, which you can then type inside the cell.
6. Whenever you type in a correct number, you should update the practice numbers for the remaining cells.
7. Repeat this process throughout the whole game and eventually you will complete the online Sudoku grid.
8. If you get stuck, you can use hints to help solve the online puzzle. Click the HINT button once when you require a hint.
How do you play sudoku ? (select the 'How to Play' tab above)