Which word has the LEAST vowels?

Amoeba
Apiece
Aerial
Ablaze

For the love of Mic...

May
2016

'Mic' has been around in the dictionaries for some time, and is clearly written on millions of audio-equipment items in homes and workplaces all over the English-speaking world. Yet I've never quite got used to how 'mic' has managed to keep the 'mike' sound of 'microphone', when our usual approach to a three-letter word in the consonant-vowel-consonant pattern is to make the vowel sound short. So the 'mic', in theory, should be pronounced 'mik'.
It's possible that, since the abbreviation 'mike' has been around for a while, and has even become a phrasal verb in the sense of 'miking up', i.e. setting someone up with a microphone for an interview'. This can involve equipping the interviewee with a mic attached to the shirt front but sufficiently wired that should they try to storm out of an interview, having been asked a question or two to which they object, there's that awkward moment of disentanglement.
Of course, President Obama has provided a perfect example of ridding oneself of the mic in a controlled and meaningful fashion, that's the 'mic drop' - if you missed it on your favourite news source, just Google it.
And now you can combine the mic with vision and 'vlog'. This portmanteau word removes the mouthful of 'video blogging', allowing a quick description of postings which make possible reports of news, food, travel destinations, etc. to 'vlogees' (is this possible for people who do not themselves post a vlog, but do watch/listen to them - or is this construction too passive?). And, yes, 'vlog' has just been added to the OED, though it appears to have been in Merriam Webster and Collins for a bit longer. This word is definitely a 21st century construct, having been first recorded in 2002.
So, a word hunt.
What 21st century words do you use, and can you find any that are not directly taken from the technology break-throughs of this century?

For the love of Mic...

jafa said:
May 31, 2016 at 2:56 PM

OMG you are so fascinating.

jafa said:
May 31, 2016 at 3:00 PM

But once I turned 18, they were totally off duty. :)) Every teenager needs to grow up with 3 big brothers :P I wish my kids did. When Kimmy had her 'episode' at 14... well, she just wouldn't have been allowed to :P

zowie said:
May 31, 2016 at 3:44 PM

eeeew fascinating not

zowie said:
May 31, 2016 at 3:50 PM

When I was 18 I worked on the snowy mountains scheme, I could bore more lol every body has a much more interesting life, dare not tell you, will pick it to pieces

May 31, 2016 at 3:51 PM

hey zowie . lovely thought for the day ,as long as you know that god is with you, it doesn't matter who is against you .

zowie said:
May 31, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Lovely Noonee a nice mind you have. like we chatted about in private I will be off cya later

May 31, 2016 at 4:16 PM

ok hun .

May 31, 2016 at 5:42 PM

As the world would see it, I`ve led a sheltered life (never uninteresting) and I love hearing anything you want to tell of your lives...Snowy Mountains, Zowie, you`re the first one I`ve known who did work on that awesome bit of making Australia`s history, but Pete was telling me on Sunday after the BBQ that his near neighbour at Blackheath many years ago, came from war-torn Europe with many qualifications and did..Pete said that the house he built showed what a fine craftsman he was as well - high praise from Pete..

zowie said:
May 31, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Hi Pam. yes I followed my betrothed, engaged at 17 , he worked there as an A class welder not long out of apprenticeship, we were saving for our future, my positions were many, receptionist at the only motel in khancoban , front of room waitress for big nobs. Tray service for the workers in the pub attached, did a bit of kitchen maid. hard at the time tho looking back a wonderful experience Lovely people and some scary . Always treated as a lady as that's the way I acted. Hubby built spiral staircase in town

zowie said:
May 31, 2016 at 6:23 PM

A lot of the men, no English there to work only, I remember no haircuts, wooly beards got stuck into their food lol, some looked scary to a young girl, but I worked that out they did it tough. their sleeping cabins were primitive in todays standards

May 31, 2016 at 6:33 PM

hey pam .zowie .dad worked on that zowie after the war . . its always good to read what you have done . hey pete how is conny . .

zowie said:
May 31, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Much later in the scheme I might add, we went there when nearly finished.

May 31, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Good evening all :)) Conny is good thanks Noonee. The operation has been rescheduled for July...don't have a date yet. We both had pre-op nerves and it was really disappointing after mentally preparing ourselves for the op that it didn't happen.:(( We will not be laying an official complaint as we are sure the surgeon would have had a quiet word to the person/s responsible. Such is life. :))

May 31, 2016 at 8:45 PM

hey pete .glad to read conny is ok . yeah but still all that pre op admission should of been checked .sending hugs .

May 31, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Thanks Zowie - just living your life, and never thinking you were a part of Oz-History, it was great to read. I expect we all were putting a bit in, really, lucky we had a chance to....'night, everyone

mommyscat said:
June 01, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Hi everyone, Fir I love hearing your stories about the lake, I don't find them boring at all, makes me wish I was there with you, without the mozzies and black flies of course. We had a great day with our music group this morning, we had 12 littlies, (record was 13 a couple of years ago). Next week we celebrate the Queen's birthday and everyone is asked to dress up. I bought a princess dress off the internet last year and one of the other leaders helped me get it ready after our session today. It has a big hoop skirt and the hoop required a bit of assembly, and then we hung it out to (hopefully) let the wrinkles from being in it's travel bag come out a bit. The girls and I then went out for a Ladies that Lunch after which I went to K-mart to buy some trinkets for the 'Queen's honour list' to give the little ones. Very good day today.

fir said:
June 01, 2016 at 6:54 AM

Morning... Thanks, M'scat.:)) Today was another fantastic day in my little spot of Canuckland... lovely warm temps, no clouds and just a bit of a breeze. I enjoyed my coffee outside under the trees with Amber sprawled out in front of me on the grass. We both need a few minutes to wake up. The bulk of the work in the gardens is done. Only maintenance to do to keep things tidy. I am already savouring the thought of eating our produce come fall as long as the squirrels leave some for us. LOL LOL Amber is an excellent squirrel chaser. :))

June 01, 2016 at 7:31 AM

Ladies that Lunch - I like it scat! Where do we sign up? You'll have to put up some photos of you all dressed up for the Queen's birthday. You should go our for lunch after the music group. I'm sure your outfit would turn a few heads. Fir - what produce do you grow? We only have fruit but the passionfruit vines are loaded and we're going to have a bumper crop.

jafa said:
June 01, 2016 at 7:56 AM

Good morning YouPlay :))... I don't think anyone found Fir's posts about her weekend at the lake boring :( All stories are valued at any rate. It's just great to read about people's lives, history and interests. Giving of yourself is the greatest gift of all :)

jafa said:
June 01, 2016 at 8:00 AM

Nothing tastes as good as home grown fresh :)). Ray will be jealous of those loaded passionfruit vines :))

jafa said:
June 01, 2016 at 8:06 AM

Any tips on making desert roses thrive would be appreciated. If they do so well up in Hervey Bay they can't suffer too much from rot from too much rain and humidity. There's some things I just can't grow here, even with the well drained soil. It just rains too often in this top corner of NSW. Something to do with the Border Ranges I believe :P But rainforesty things thrive.

June 01, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Humidity in the air means I can't keep homemade biscuits or cake on the bench or in the cupboard - I've been packing three/quarters of a bickie batch for the freezer this morning.

jafa said:
June 01, 2016 at 8:34 AM

At least they last long enough to freeze :)). Remember when the kids were little they rarely had a chance to cool down :P

fir said:
June 01, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Jelly and anyone else, we grow tomatoes, cucumber, potatoes, onions, radish, green beans and peas. It is so yummy to go out and pick fresh what you want for dinner. :)) Alas except for some raspberries, we grow no fruit and we are limited to what we can grow because of our harsh winters. :((

fir said:
June 01, 2016 at 10:05 AM

New topic everyone... :))