Who created "The Adventures Of Tintin"?

Bemelmans
Goscinny
Herge
Dahl

Shoes news

Mar
2016

Imelda Marcos is the Steel Butterfly of the Philippines whose shoe collection was notoriously large. I'm reminded of her as I've been reviewing the shoe cupboard recently and can see that the epithet 'Imelda' might just be applied. Too many shoes... Ah, but can one ever have too many shoes?
Sorting and classifying is another matter altogether. At what height does an ankle boot become simply a boot? What degree of elegance distinguishes that ankle boot from a shoe? Are reef shoes really a shoe or a sandal (all those cut-outs so the water can drain easily), be they never so convenient for paddling about in shallow water that may conceal rocks and sticks, in a river, or coral and stonefish, in the sea. Though I don't think that my reef shoes would afford any great protection against the the size and strength of the spines in a stonefish's dorsal fin. Note to all in tropical waters - be careful where you tread.
Back to the shoes and words for shoes. The Ugg boot is a protected brand name in most of the world but here in Australia, where the sheepskin boot first appeared, the term 'ugg boot' is considered to be generic. The word 'ugg' itself has an obvious connection to 'ugly' and it's true that they aren't the world's prettiest footwear but they're probably the warmest and most comfortable ones for winter.
So, I'm looking at my ankle boots and notice that, over the last few years, the trend seems to be to make ankle boots less boot-like and more elegant-shoe-like. So much so that a new word has been coined to describe them. Welcome to the 'shootie'. Yes, this term for dressy ankle boots, or the shoe/boot, has reached the OED and Collins (in their online versions, at least). And, if it isn't in Merriam Webster yet, it's certainly in use at shoe stores across North America.
Take me out and 'shooties' me? What's your favourite 'shoe' word?

Shoes news

jafa said:
April 01, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Ah, highschools, now that's a different story :P There has to be a better way...

April 01, 2016 at 11:40 AM

hey jell .

jafa said:
April 01, 2016 at 11:42 AM

During Missymoo's senior years she only attended the actual school 2 days per week for lessons. She obtained her Cert. 3 in Nursing at TAFE as one of her high school subjects. And chose to do Cert. 3 in Retailing, which allowed her to do paid work one day per week. :P The theory she did in her own time. It IS changing :P

jafa said:
April 01, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Though she missed out doing History, Geography and Languages, which I think is a real loss.

Muffy said:
April 01, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I guess I was lucky, I remember only having 2 really terrible teachers in my school years. My second grade teacher was awful; she had 3 or 4 favourites and the rest of us might as well not even have been in class. One day, and this is truly odd, her husband and 2 year old daughter sat in the back of class...ALL day. Why? We never knew. And in my freshman year (grade 9), my geometry teacher was not capable of teaching. He'd been in the system for years, and had tenure, and I am sure he knew the material, but could not pass it on...at least not to me! I passed, but not by much. To this day I prefer Algebra.

zowie said:
April 01, 2016 at 5:09 PM

My sons English teacher struggled with English. lol he mentioned that on many occasions to him. My motto to my boys was if you are guilty take on the chin, if not yell like hell. my early experience in junior school was great best time in my memories .Classy ladies. Education after dropped . We learned so much more than my kids did . I took up the slack to prepare them for high school .Our pe teacher was hopeless anything she showed us we outdid her. haha her name was miss Alares. we called her All Ass