Patrick Makau, who set the World Record at the Berlin Marathon 2011, comes from WHICH country?

Jamaica
Kenya
USA
Ireland

Colour

Aug
2015

I love going into paint shops, that's wall paints by the way not artists' colours. It's not that I look forward to the hours of painstaking cutting-in or the freedom of rollering. I just love the names that paint companies use to describe their product.
Not that I'm unsympathetic. It's an industry that's heavily reliant on fashion. The latest colours and colour combinations have to reach the client who's no doubt inspired by the latest round of home-improvement shows. And there's nothing worse than going to buy the shade of the moment only to find it, by the same name, was the colour one's grandparent used on the garden shed a few decades ago, the dried up evidence of which lingers on in said shed until a council clear-up of old dead paint tins is next scheduled.
How to avoid this deterrent? Invent and new and exciting name for the same old colour.
I found Smooth, Dew, and Amulet on one chart, and Annular, Quilt, and Surprise on another - there will be no prize for guessing which colour applies to which name because, quite honestly, there doesn't have to be a direct link between the name and the shade. The names would be fairly dull if they were so relentlessly literal.
I think the purpose of these names is to elicit an emotional, mood-based response. One might be charmed to apply My Way to the walls, or Innocence, or even Showbiz. Certainly there's nothing to offend in the names, and that makes the people who invent these terms very clever indeed.
Can you describe your favourite colour and then invent a paint-shop name for it?

Colour

mommyscat said:
September 01, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Sounds like a great tool Pete. Can you inbox me the make and model so I can get one for studmuffin?

September 01, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Hi Scat, just used it for a 1/2 hour...it's a little ripper. Just looking at the instruction manual that came with it :- OZITO Power Change. 18v Lithium Ion. Model Number (I think) is PXCLTK-018. It cost $109 and worth it. As my edges hadn't been done since last summer I used 2 of the clip-in nylon blades. At 45cents each that is a cheap job well done. :)) 3 year warranty on it so keep your receipt if you buy one.:))

September 01, 2015 at 5:47 PM

hey pete ,scat,sounds like a bargin,pete. oh another party , im in .

September 01, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Hi Noonee, you have become quite the party girl...lol...goodonya...I luv it. :))

September 01, 2015 at 6:00 PM

Gee, lists. All the things I meant to do and didn`t, or get at the shop and forgot, could get downright embarrassing. So I keep lists in my head..a housewarming party? I`m in to, noonee!

nan_j said:
September 01, 2015 at 6:18 PM

methinks you have a very good memory Pam :)

September 01, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Conny keeps a shopping list magnetised to the fridge...then she goes down the shops and leaves it at home a lot...rings me to read it to her over the phone...lol...:))

Muffy said:
September 01, 2015 at 8:55 PM

No worse than my Hub, Pete. He decides to stop at the supermarket after work (usually for fruit), so he'll phone on his way to the market to see if we need anything else. When he gets to the store, he’ll call again…”I got the fruit and this and that and blah and la di dah. What else do we need?” He decides that, since he is there, he may as well do all the shopping. Very thoughtful, but I have to ask what market he is in, then I have to get the list and the ad circular. I could go into the whole conversation here, but it is too long and crazy. Maybe I’ll write it up as a comedy routine someday, it is kind of crazy. BUT-it is nice not to have to shop for that week or at least part of it.

zowie said:
September 01, 2015 at 9:10 PM

Got to laugh Muffy my hub is shopping to help me out this past year. Example got some good ribeye steak ..... but nothing to go with it thinks a steak on a plate so I go tho what`s needed back to the store painful. Want some comedy I have it in spades. hya girl.

September 01, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Oh well Muffy he is only trying to be helpful.:)) Zowie if your husband had bought a six-pack of stubbies with the rib eye steak you could have had a 7 course dinner...lol...:))

Muffy said:
September 01, 2015 at 11:26 PM

Sounds like your man and mine are cut from the same cloth. He believes that you cannot eat too much meat/protein, but you have to watch those carbs, baby! I've cooked up (no pun intended) a sneaky little trick to stop his Fred Flintstone meat appetite: when I buy ground beef, I take a 3 pound pack and make 12 oz portions. I get 4 meals (12 oz each) and he thinks each pack is 16 ounces.

fir said:
September 02, 2015 at 12:58 AM

Mornin'...Thanks for the explanation, Peter. :)) I'm on board for Jafa's housewarming as I probably will have some weekends free when the g/kids go back to school. This will be fun...the party, that is. LOL My hubby does the grocery shopping as well but he either forgets the list, loses it, or can't find it. LOL When he gets home there are often a few surprises in the grocery bags. :))

September 02, 2015 at 7:02 AM

Housewarming party sounds good! We have a shopping list on the fridge and as soon as anything runs out or is nearly finished, the item goes on the list. We do a quick check of the fridge and pantry before leaving to shop and the list goes in Harry's pocket when we leave. He doesn't like to waste time when we shop so now and again I go without him as I like to browse.

jafa said:
September 02, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Good morning YouPlay :))... Housewarming it is! Y'all will l-o-v-e Kalgoorlie :)) We have a big 1/4 acre block, so there's room for the air balloon to set down :))) At least until I fill it with plants :P

jafa said:
September 02, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Come dressed for both very warm AND very cold. Monday was pretty hot here and I woke up Tuesday and it was freezing. Unbelievable. I don't think I'll stow the Winter woollies just yet!

jafa said:
September 02, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Ray got home at 5pm yesterday... at last. But his plastic surgeon wants him back on Thursday. And again next Tuesday. Gosh. I think that is the only disadvantage to living here. Specialists are so darn far away. It's only an hour's flight but it costs as much as Perth to Sydney :(( And all the waiting around. :((( Ray's getting antsie about the whole thing... It also looks like he'll need a few weeks off work. His graft is under his safety helmet strap. No, he won't relax and enjoy it :P

September 02, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Remember Anne's mum made bread to take to melly and well-wish her new home? I don't make bread but my husband makes triffic bread, so I know something I'll have in my string-bag!

jafa said:
September 02, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Perfect, Pammy. What is it about bread that says HOME.

fir said:
September 02, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I will make some French Canadian Habitant soup. It will be yummy with the bread that Pammy's hubby makes. :)) I am glad to hear that Ray is home, Jafa. Now you get to play nurse. :))

fir said:
September 02, 2015 at 10:04 AM

I saw pics of the storm that hit Phoenix, where Muffy lives (I think). What a mess !!! I do hope she's ok and will let us know how things are.

September 02, 2015 at 10:34 AM

morning all , glad to hear ray is home jafs ,that's the thing with the specalists .they are so far away as you said ,hey fir ,jell ,hope you are feeling better,. hey pam .got a good joke ,my memory is gone mildred, so I changed my password to :incorrect:,that way ,when I log in ,with the wrong password,the computer will tell me, ;your password is incorrect;.

September 02, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Good morning all:)) If we all chip in we can buy Jafs and Ray a large recirculating water fountain for their new garden complete with goldfish in the water-catchment area of the garden feature. It should keep Hamish and Pebbles amused and cool also.:)) Habitant soup Luigi?? That almost sounds cannibalistic...lol...:)) I know the Quebeckers get you riled up with their talk of secession but really!?...put them in soup...yuk...no thanks...LOL...:)))

jafa said:
September 02, 2015 at 10:38 AM

It's like trying to nurse a 2 year old :P About all I can do is try to amuse him :P The soup sounds yummy! What is it like?

fir said:
September 02, 2015 at 10:39 AM

hahahahaha Peter. Google it !! LOL LOL

fir said:
September 02, 2015 at 10:43 AM

What a fantastic idea for a garden, Peter. I can visualise it clearly. It would be so relaxing in so many ways as well as lovely to look at. Hmmmm...too late for this year but maybe next...if I can keep Amber out of it. LOL

jafa said:
September 02, 2015 at 11:00 AM

A water fountain is perfect for the hot weather. Ray suggested a misting system but the sound of water is so relaxing. :)))

September 02, 2015 at 11:10 AM

We had one in our garden about 25 years ago (a different home to where we are now). We built the water feature ourselves and it was great to look at and enjoy. If you build one I would advise NOT to use a submersible pump and filter as maintenance is a pain in the butt. We built a garden bench next to the pond and enclosed the bottom half (a cupboard under the seat) and had the pump and filter in there for easy access and cleaning. We did it ourselves except for the provision of U/G electricity to the pump although I can remember digging the trench myself to save a few dollars. :))

fir said:
September 02, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Well, it's that time again. Have a lovely day. G'Night. :))

September 02, 2015 at 12:16 PM