2007 bestseller by Khaled Hosseini: "A Thousand WHAT Suns"?

Red
Disappointing
Splendid
Hot

Sophomoric

May
2015

I'm credibly informed that writers in the music industry use the term 'sophomore' to identify that an album is the artist's second one. Thus Strange Days becomes the sophomore album for the iconic band, The Doors.
The word 'sophomore' itself has been around for a while, though OED and other British English dictionaries describe it as a North American usage in its definition as a second-year student in a school or college.
And while it appears that, as an adjective, sophomore has reached some dictionaries in the meaning of 'second', its use is not, so far, extensive and I can't find it in my old faithful printed Oxford Dictionary of English.
But that's not an argument for not using it. On the contrary, that's exactly the way our language changes. Though in this case, I do wonder if there's any real advantage in substituting 'sophomore' for 'second'. It might, to the writer, sound more sophisticated or, given the context of writing about music, perhaps it's just an alternative to using 'second' all the time, thus allowing a little variety in the text.
The difficulty for me is that, though 'sophomore' is not widely used in British English, 'sophomoric' has been. In particular in the meaning of 'puerile' or 'juvenile' and often associated with 'humour', indicating the sort of joke that's very funny when you're rather young or indicating the sort of comment that seemed so right when you asserted it in your late teens or early twenties but which you realise, a few years later, to have been ludicrously uninformed.
So are there 101 uses for a sophomore?

Sophomoric

June 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Happy Birthday from me too ding! Scat, that's a heavy dog you have there! Off to work for me, back tomorrow afternoon. Bye for now.

June 30, 2015 at 2:20 PM

happy birthday ding ,hope you enjoy it . hey fir ,good to see you to and thanks .

jafa said:
June 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Happy Birthday Ding. :))) Welcome to 57. Best year ever :)))

jafa said:
June 30, 2015 at 4:03 PM

I know how you feel scat. Lily was that size and once when we were driving she just had to sit on my lap... desperately. aarghhh. Hence why Hami is under 10kgs. :P

jafa said:
June 30, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Plants are all on hold atm Phoenix :)) We are looking to buy another place here... just up the road. A huge 1/4 acre block :))) Plenty of room for my little horse. :))) Built in the 80's with dark bricks and arches. Love it. So different from my place at the GC, cream on cream :P And needs some TLC. :))) "I'm in heav-en..."

zowie said:
June 30, 2015 at 5:06 PM

Happy birthday Ding hope you had a great day.... Think Fir needs a soak in a bubble bath a glass of wine music too. I don't like frogs squishy . I do like geckos tho pretty lizards we have big like a goanna and small . like to watch them. maybe I need a straight jacket lol

June 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM

hey zowie , yeah they are nice , all the best jafs ,you sound so happy .

dingbell said:
June 30, 2015 at 8:02 PM

Scat I hope you don't bruise easily. :) Territory Day termorrer so there'll be fireworks galore (the only day you can buy them legally) so Bitty dog will be with me where ever I go. Oh, she already does that. The kennels will be full of English staffies.

Muffy said:
June 30, 2015 at 8:58 PM

Going back to my critters, I think they are a Sonoran Green Toad. The photos are not quite as I remember, but the Green Toad is closer to the ones that came to the sliders. We did have the Spadefoot variety in other parts of the neighborhood, however.

Muffy said:
June 30, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Ding, hope you had a terrific birthday!

keight said:
June 30, 2015 at 9:26 PM

Happy birthday Ding. I hope it went well.

jafa said:
July 01, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Good morning YouPlay :))... Ding, do you get to handle the dogs that you transport? If you do, you would be in a great position to see how various breed cope with stress. Do any breeds stand out as being particularly robust and steady? ))

jafa said:
July 01, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Please excuse my early morning typos and generally garbled messages :P

July 01, 2015 at 8:11 AM

Good morning all:)) 14c and mostly sunny here today. We have our regular GP appointment today, after which we intend to drive on to Destiny's home town and spend the night there.:)) Jafs and Ray looking at buying a new home together...cool...they have certainly been very blessed and lucky to find each other...and I wish them both the very best for a bright and happy future together. :))

July 01, 2015 at 8:24 AM

The summer weather in Canada sounds terrible this year Luigi :(( After enduring such a long bitter winter you Canucks deserve better.:)) How did Canada finish up in the ladies soccer Cup or is the comp. still going? The last I heard was that Australia had been knocked out of it by the Japanese team.

July 01, 2015 at 8:27 AM

PS:- Have you got the Wimbledon tennis on TV in Canada? :))

July 01, 2015 at 8:31 AM

I see that You Play has a Book Club - yay, I'm in! What folks say about the books they read is interesting!

July 01, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Book Club...where Pammy? It's not April 1st is it? Nah it's July 1st...:))

nan_j said:
July 01, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Sorry pam, cannot find where this Book club is!

July 01, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Must be off...have a great day/evening all:))

dingbell said:
July 01, 2015 at 9:21 AM

Hi, the book club link is at the bottom of the page, next to Players Lounge. I've seen it before but not happened to go there. Just had a quick peek and I'm a bit concerned, don't really need to spend MORE time on the 'puter! lol

dingbell said:
July 01, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Jafa I don't do a lot of the handling, I'm usually chained to the desk :( It mostly seems to be a pick-up-vibes-from-the-owner thing than a breed thing. One manager tells people to get sedation from their Vet, throw half of it away and the owner take the rest!

mommyscat said:
July 01, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Happy Canada Day for all us Canadians and Happy Territory Day for all those associated with NT.

mommyscat said:
July 01, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Trivia Teaser is broken today, every answer you put in is incorrect yet the combined answers are 100% correct.

nan_j said:
July 01, 2015 at 9:50 AM

LOL scat, yes I noticed that as well :)

fir said:
July 01, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Mornin...another day of rain (sigh)...Canada was defeated by England in the last round so they are out of the World Cup. Germany and the US are playing now and the score is 0-0. England play Japan tomorrow. The winners of today's and tomorrow's games play each other this weekend for the World Cup championship. Yes, Peter, we get Wimbledon on TV. Unfortunately, Eugenie Bouchard lost her opening match so she's gone. Canada Day is tomorrow for anyone in North America but you all can celebrate it today. LOL Have fun visiting Destiny, Peter. :)) Happy Territory Day for those who are celebrating. Nothing else to report... :))

mommyscat said:
July 01, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Sorry Fir tomorrow for you but it is already July 1st here in Aus, hence the Canada Day greeting.

fir said:
July 01, 2015 at 10:33 AM

We can celebrate on both days... LOL The evening celebrations tomorrow should be fun if they can figure out how to light the wet fireworks. :)))