'Route 66' originally ran from Chicago to WHICH other US city?

San Francisco
Miami
New York
Los Angeles

Confronting...

Feb
2015

When the Australian National Dictionary Centre announced its word of the year, the winner was, drumroll, SHIRTFRONT, a word dragged from the relative obscurity of Australian Football to the international political arena when PM Abbott threatened to 'shirtfront' Russian President Putin.
Now in Australian Football if you 'shirtfront' someone, you're tackling a usually unsuspecting player, hard, from the front, so that you end up in a chest-to-chest collision before one or both players end up on the grass, or, indeed, are carted off the field - this last may even be the intention of the one performing the 'shirtfront'. It's always a bit rough and can be brutally so.
I'm fairly sure PM Abbott did not mean to 'shirtfront' in this literal sense, perhaps only intending to 'front' or 'confront'. He does appear to have underestimated the number of AFL afficionados in the Australia electorate to whom the somewhat more violent outcome is the only meaning. Result: much enjoyment for the media, satirists, etc., and a salutary reminder to the pollies (another Australian invention, the diminutive of 'politicians', possibly influenced by 'polly parrot') that Australia's football code divide has not disappeared.
And that's just the divide between Rugby (League or Union) and AFL. It becomes even more confusing when you add the beautiful game. Though there's no confusion about the credit due to coach Ange Postecoglou, skipper Mile Jedinak and all the Socceroos for their Asian Cup victory.
The linguistic violence continues, at least to one's aesthetic sense, in the rest of the shortlist - from 'Team Australia', a concept difficult to define, the 'man-bun', the Ned Kelly beard, and the 'coward punch' (less euphemistic than the term 'king hit').
I'm hoping for something a little bit nicer this year.
What new word or words have your heard or read?

2095 Responses to

Confronting...

March 30, 2015 at 7:11 PM

Thanks ladies :))

Muffy said:
March 30, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Glad to see you, Phoenix. Good work on that garden. They are so healing. I sure do miss having one. To dang dry here. And I have virtually no land. Just a box or pot garden for me...herbs only if I do one.

Muffy said:
March 30, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Jafa, that is a bit scary. Most folks here keep pet in, and on a close leash when walking. We have to watch out for coyotes, mountain lions, javelina and owls and hawks as major wild predators, and in most parts of the city crazy traffic is never far from residential areas. And with spring and summer coming on, the heat is getting worse each day...was 34C yesterday, today was already 32 at noon. Not even April yet...this does not bode well for summer, expecting a long hot one.

zowie said:
March 30, 2015 at 7:26 PM

Nice to see you Pete.Have not met in person Pete but know you are a sensitive nice person and have earned my respect.You and Conny have worked out the best therapy together.

zowie said:
March 30, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Muffy .We are beginning Autumn here in Sydney is cool and a lovely relief to me. most probs while walking for me is the odd magpie swooping .Otherwise the screeching cockatoos telling us rain is coming. Got to go a bit outback to see wild animals .You live dangerously.

nan_j said:
March 30, 2015 at 8:22 PM

I seem to recall that magpies swoop in the spring!!

Muffy said:
March 30, 2015 at 8:22 PM

All we have to do to see wild things is sit on the porch at sundown or sunrise and be very quiet. Or better yet, walk out to the riverbed...almost guaranteed to see coyotes, owls and hawks. Lots of rabbits and coatis too, but I don't count them as vicious. Bobcats and mountain lions are rarer, but if you go daily; especially in a drought, it is likely that you'll sight them at some point in the summer. I used to hear them on our roof at the old house. My friend was swimming (at sundown) and came up from the water to find her self face to face with a bobcat. Her response? "Hello, kitty! You're so pretty." She's a feline fan (as am I). Cat stayed for about 4 or 5 minutes while friend remained in pool, then cat slinked off; friend got out of water and went home...sorry she had no camera handy.

zowie said:
March 30, 2015 at 8:41 PM

Ding and Jelly would see more of our wildlife as they are far north of oz...Just a general picture for Muffy. yes time of year comes in to play.

March 30, 2015 at 9:46 PM

Muffy, I found your comment regarding the variety of wildlife in your area absolutely amazing and very interesting.:)) So much so I didn't even know a couple of them that you mentioned...I googled them to find out "what the heck are they?" In particular...the coati (a raccoon type animal) and the javelin (a wild peccary). The peccaries usually are in a mob of 10+ and have a pretty good set of canine teeth protruding one inch from the jaw...scary animals...lol. The coatis I read are pretty harmless although I read that a man was attacked recently until he handed over the orange he was eating...LOL. :)) Assault and robbery?? :))

March 30, 2015 at 9:48 PM

*javelina

March 30, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Luigi, I was reading an article the other day about snakes. The red-sided garter snakes of Manitoba got a mention so I googled it. The Narcisse Snake Pits located there are home to tens of thousands of these harmless snakes and are a Manitoba tourist attraction with walking trails to the snake dens and guides to give a talk about the snakes. Google even had some pics of the dens with hundreds of these snakes entwining and moving around. It reminded me of that scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies when he falls into a chamber full of the creepy crawlies...lol...:)) Have you been there Luigi? :))

March 30, 2015 at 10:51 PM

So sensible, You and Conny in the garden, Pedro - glad you feel like being with us again.....for me, the fewer snakes I meet up with, the better. There was a walking-trail in a Tas. Wildlife Park saying watch out for snakes, which I didn't see many people use...

March 30, 2015 at 11:47 PM

hey pete , pam .zowie , muffy ,nanna , see you tomorrow , good to have you back pete ..

fir said:
March 31, 2015 at 1:52 AM

G'mornin'....Feeling a bit more rested now after a long night's sleep. I will probably need a few more of those. :)) Thank you all for the welcome back. It was strange not to be on the blog. Welcome back, Peter...Yes indeed, you are among friends who care. :)) Re: the snakes...have never been there Peter but have heard about them. We have harmless snakes where we are and have seen garter snake pits before. It reminds me of a rave. LOL Don't have peccaries here but have cougars, coyotes, and bobcats but they are rarely seen. We have a new cross-breed of wolves and coyotes, called the coywolf. They are large like wolves but marked like coyotes. I have never seen a real one, just pictures and on wildlife films... :))

iandor said:
March 31, 2015 at 5:08 AM

Well you learn something new every day; I thought a garter snake was something of sexual nature! I truly did; a bit like a female version of a Trouser snake. Well we went to Portsmouth today and it was incredibly expensive and we wont go back but we saw Lord Nelsons "Victory" and even saw the spot where he was shot quite dead. Saw the most modern sailing warship afloat HMS Warrior. The progress made with Tudor warship "Mary Rose" since we were here last was quite incredible. More later Rgds Ian

fir said:
March 31, 2015 at 6:05 AM

Had an update from my daughter about the fundraising for the school literacy program (rainbow igloo). The igloo is now a memory but it raised $3700 for the literacy program, just $200 short of what is needed. Very successful !! My elder granddaughter, Halle, was growing her flaxen blonde hair to donate to the Cops for Cancer. She had a ten inch braid cut off to be used in the making of wigs for children suffering from this horrid disease. I am so proud of her. She is only 10 years old. She is growing her hair long again for another donation in 2 to 3 years. :)))))

jafa said:
March 31, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Good morning YouPlay :))... That's very impressive, Fir. She sounds like she's growing into a mighty fine, strong young woman. I'm feeling very proud of her as well. LOL :)))

jafa said:
March 31, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Mebbe I should call you Bunny-Fir or Fir Rabbit :))

fir said:
March 31, 2015 at 8:28 AM

If you wish but only for a short while...LOL

March 31, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Good morning all and welcome back Pete. Fir, that's wonderful that your granddaughter is doing that at such a young age and I'm glad that the rainbow igloo raised almost all the money that was needed.

March 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM

Muffy, how marvellous that you can see all those animals in the wild. I also had not heard of the javelina and found this interesting article while googling them http://www.gf.state.az.us/w_c/urban_javelina.shtml

March 31, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Zowie, the only wildlife I have seen here is kangaroos, birds and foxes. There is undoubtedly more looking at the roadkill each morning on my way to work but not that I've seen alive!

jafa said:
March 31, 2015 at 8:59 AM

I was amazed to hear of bobcats on the roof. I thought possums were loud LOL

jafa said:
March 31, 2015 at 9:03 AM

Apparently the wild dogs have decimated the local wildlife. We had hundreds of semi-tame scrub turkeys and wallabies that were fed every morning at the caravan park. Also, I can't imagine the koalas have fared much better :((

mommyscat said:
March 31, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Good morning all. Welcome back Pete, you were missed. (Sending another cyber hug to you and Conny). We have been keeping the cats in after our visit from our neighbour last week, but yesterday tabby managed to sneak out. Of course straight to the neighbours yard. I put a packet of his favourite wet food on a plate and enticed him to come to me, scooped him up and started carrying him back. Halfway back to the house he realized what was happening and my best attempts at keeping him in my arms was flustered by his hind claws raking my tummy as he tried to escape. Studmuffin was almost up to us with a towel when the little terror escaped sans collar as I had my hand on it. My tummy looks like a road map with scratches all over it but nothing serious, Dettol cream followed by antiseptic cream and no touching for a few days. Then another light bulb moment, I took my library book and sat on the bench on the front porch read one paragraph and guess who was figure 8ing around my ankles. Scooped him up and into the house, collar back on and Bob's your uncle. Now lets hope the rest of the week has no dramas, this week has been enough to last the rest of the year.