What was the cowardly creature in the movie "The Wizard Of Oz"?

Scarecrow
Rabbit
Tin Man
Lion

Festive Season

Dec
2014

The mid-winter celebration of the solstice, which falls on the 21st of December, is always a significant date for humans. The earliest civilisations observed the shortest day of the year, especially in those climates where that shortest day presaged the hardest months of winter, with no prospect of growing plants until the arrival of spring.
Over the millennia, many religious practices have grown up around this significant time of year. The Christmas tradition is well-known but is far from being the only instance of a religion absorbing older traditions based on natural events.
Today, increasingly, the festive or holiday season is both less and more religious. It's a time of celebration of family and community, for many not necessarily tied to the Christian tradition, and it has expanded to include the religious observances of equally old, but non-Christian, beliefs.
And part of this celebration is the idea of a time of plenty following the harvest months (in the Northern Hemisphere) and the 'bracing oneself' for the harder times to come. It's a time for sharing the bounty we have produced, taking time to be with friends and family, and preparing for the New Year with all its promise and challenges.
Of course, for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere, we have the advantages of all the goodwill of the season, the time off from work, and the excellent weather in which to enjoy it all (though I'm hoping that 'excellent weather' manages to keep below the 38 degree mark - that's below 100 degrees in the Fahrenheit scale).
Festive season words include 'happy', 'cheer', 'merriment', and 'joy' - so enjoy your festive season with sharing and good will.

PS Heatwave or not, I'll be making fruit mince pies, as always. What's your favourite Festive Season food?

Festive Season

January 05, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Scones with strawberry jam and cream...........

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Muffy, I live in Australia, on the coastal border of Queensland and New South Wales :))) I think we get that ad too. :)))

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Mmmmm.... also savoury scones... though I think Baker's Delight do them better... :))

January 05, 2015 at 8:22 AM

We get that ad here in Hervey Bay.

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 8:23 AM

My youngest is slightly allergic to cats too Ray. But we kept the cat and he sleeps with me, even though he belongs to her. She moved out and left him... so I guess he's mine now... I live in a zoo!

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 8:25 AM

Two dogs, one cat and 4 guinea-pigs (at last count) :)))

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 8:27 AM

And a shetland pony... but she's agisted. :)))

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 8:28 AM

You should get a cat Jelly. I'll babysit while you go on your cruise :))

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Favourite Festive Food Pat? Hmmm... My favourite alcohic drink is champagne (with strawberries) or vodka and fruity drinks :))) Favourite Food? Well, it wouldn't be Xmas in Australia without lots of stone fruit, cherries are my favourite. Lychees. Watermelon (well all the melons) balls :)))) Must have some turkey and ham... with lots of fresh salads :)))... I think I gaining weight again... just reminiscing... :(( Oh, and Lindt balls....

January 05, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Harry won't let me have a cat. I have to wait until I visit my daughter as our shared cat is there plus her stray cat that we had desexed.

January 05, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Good morning all:)) 28c and sunny today. 39c on Sat and we had airco on all day, got up yesterday and put on same clothes from Sat and went to local market and froze...lol. It was about 15c at the market with a cold wind. The market was very quiet...people just relaxing at home or away after the festive days I suppose. Bread...as a kid there was a bakery about a mile from our house, we nor our Italian neighbours had a car so it was my job after church attendance to hop on my bike and fetch fresh, yummy, breads for us and our neighbours. The neighbours usually rewarded me with a bag of lollies or some small gift.:))

January 05, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Muffy, NBN is an acronym for National Broadband Network. The NBN has been partially built with service available in some areas. It uses optical fibre cable (as opposed to copper) and has been touted as the "ants pants" as far as speed and reliability are concerned. From what I have read by the time it is finished (at a cost of tens of $billions) it will be considered slow as the burgeoning wireless network is going ahead in leaps and bounds as the speed and technology of wireless is being already utilised in parts of Europe.

January 05, 2015 at 10:04 AM

PS: Research and Development in the wireless network will result in much lower network construction costs.

January 05, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Oh dear, I didn't mean to mislead you - evaporative cooler was what I meant. You filled it at the back with a bucket of water. Very effective in dry-heat like I think you have, Muffy

January 05, 2015 at 10:14 AM

New Year, New Leaf, and all that - and new topic... Think I'll stick with this one for a while lest I come down with depression...

nan_j said:
January 05, 2015 at 10:15 AM

That's what I thought you meant Pam, we had one as well.

January 05, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Good morning Pete and Pam. We are supposed to be getting the NBN in the next year or so but I'm not holding my breath. Our current connection is pretty good for most things. I'm glad you have cooler weather now Pete. Our temps have dropped slightly too but I think our highest was only about 35C but the humidity made it most unpleasant.

January 05, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Drinks, pat? Well Horlicks is pretty strange when you think of malt and powdered milk but it was meant to cure night starvation.

January 05, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Haha Pammy, I think everyone back then either relied on fans or evaporative coolers...only rich people had air conditioning.:)) Air conditioned cars were unheard of, just wind down the windows and hope the breeze was cooling.:))

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Ian, when I lived in Newcastle, our television network was NBN. I wondered if you might be referring to that. :))

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 10:45 AM

The thing I love about Christmas in Australia is that it comes at the beginning of Summer. Christmas means summer holidays, summer fruits, summer fun :))) A perfect time to celebrate family :)))

iandor said:
January 05, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Jafa did you know that you can never own a cat, they own you and this is so for most felines. This is why I cannot understand the aboriginals and the land rights claims, in their religion they believe that the land owns them and not the other way around. Sweetheart NBN stands for National Broadband Network, thanks for the assist though. Regards Ian

jafa said:
January 05, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Thanks, Ian, dear heart. Our cat doesn't have much choice. He's an inside cat... Though he doesn't have to sleep with me... he could sleep on his own...

Muffy said:
January 05, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Last entry for this topic…. Thanks for the clarification of NBN, Phoenix. Pretty much as I thought, but couldn’t access the terms from my memory. Also, Pammy, the evap cooler was what I thought you meant, but one never knows. We have regular A/C in our place, because in the worst heat (July & August here) also tends to correlate with a higher humidity. Although the humidity is only 20-30%, the evap coolers can’t handle it, some people have dual systems. Finally, my cats (mine? Ha!) do not sleep in the bedroom. Until we moved into this home, they were not even allowed in the bedroom. My husband has asthma and is allergic to cats, but it is worse with short haired cats. But I had cats before he came into my life, so he knew he had to take the whole package. See you on the next topic!