What is the nickname of the area in the US where tornadoes are most frequent?

Tornado valley
Tornado alley
Twister country
Twisterville

We can be heroes

Mar
2014

Well, the 'herogram' has just made it to the OED! And, which I didn't know, the first definition pertains to its invention not, as I had thought, in the sense of sending supportive messages to athletes but to an editor sending a congratulatory telegram to a journalist for a job well done.
It's been around in that meaning since the 70s - though the reputation of major newspaper editors is such that I'm not entirely surprised to find that it's opposite, the 'nastygram', appeared at least a decade earlier.
The 'herogram' moved fairly quickly from the newsroom to the sporting arena. Each Olympics we're urged to send one to the athlete we think is in need of support or validation. Nice thought, and doubtless deserved.
It's interesting how the notion of 'hero' has moved from the semi-divine son (usually) of a god of ancient Greece to anyone who's generally admired.
But can you send a 'herogram' to a female athlete? Of course, the dictionaries are divided. Some of majors prefer the 'hero' to be exclusively male. Some acknowledge that the word's meaning has wandered away from its past to a present where a woman can be the 'hero' of a novel or film, or be universally admired and respected.
And you'd think that Meg Lanning, who just smashed out a score of 126 runs in cricket's Twenty20 competition, the highest ever by a woman, might qualify for the odd admiring message.
I think it's possible that a hero can also be someone less well known, but whose contribution to their society is worthy both of admiration and of the occasional 'thank you' from the rest of us.
Who are your heroes?

We can be heroes

April 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Thanks for that Janji. Hi Jelly, long time no see...lol Have you and Harry been cooking up any more yummy seafood dishes? :))

April 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Hi Flax, I was sitting here reading your comment re other languages and the word "jambo" hit a chord with me. I have just remembered "Jungle Jim" (Johnny Weissmuller) a TV series I watched as a kid. It was set in Africa and every time "Jim" met up with natives he would say "jambo". My first train of thought came up with "mambo italiano" which was a song from the fifties. I think Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney and heaps of others sang it. Nothing to do with "jambo" at all. :))

April 10, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Hi Phoenix. No more yet but I helped one of my clients make a marinara stir fry on Tuesday. He was so excited that he took photos! I'm heading to Townsville on Monday but I'll take my netbook so should still be popping in while I'm there. I'd like to know how your wife gets on with her scan.

April 10, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Bewdy Jelly, photos...lol. When he makes it himself he will be constantly referring to the pics. :) Townsville...I think I can remember you saying you used to live there? Have a safe and enjoyable journey :))

dingbell said:
April 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Jelly the book pammy's reading falls into the classics genre which I am sure you've seen are largely free on kindle - 'cos it's so old there's heaps of reviews (and more learned essays I wouldn't be surprised). I think someone scanned them? Have fun in Townsville. I suppose teaching people new skills would be one of the upsides of your job - as opposed to the not sleeping in your own bed, etc.

dingbell said:
April 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Yay, just completed my first ever sudoku. Took me 47 minutes to finish an easy one - take that senility!!

keight said:
April 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM

That's wonderful Jelly! It's moments like that which make the job worth while. Did he take a "selfie" along with the meal?

wolvie said:

April 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM

Comment deleted

wolvie said:
April 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM

Comment deleted

April 11, 2014 at 6:23 AM

No keight, no selfie. He did all the actual cooking but some of the vegies were 'julienne' so I cut those for him to show him what it meant and he has poor reading skills so he needed help with the recipe. He's learning to recognise many more common ingredients and the difference between a teaspoon, dessert spoon and tablespoon. Funny thing is, I don't particularly enjoy cooking but he and I have fun cooking together.

April 11, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Comment deleted

April 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Dingbell, Amazon offers other free books, not just old classics. I think many are from self publishing authors but they are not all bad. There are also some very cheap buys if you take a bit of time to ferret through the many books on offer. Yes phoenix, I lived in Townsville for many years and my two children still live there. I do miss them and my granddaughter too.

pdiaco said:
April 11, 2014 at 7:28 AM

A number of YP members might be interested in making a submission to the Australian Productivity Commission public inquiry into Access to Australian Justice Arrangements. See details at http://www.pc.gov.au/projects/inquiry/access-justice ****** WEBP AGE EXTRACT ******* Access to Justice Arrangements Public inquiry The Australian Government has asked the Commission to undertake a 15-month inquiry into Australia’s system of civil dispute resolution, with a focus on constraining costs and promoting access to justice and equality before the law. In particular, the Commission should have regard to: •real costs of legal representation and trends over time •level of demand for legal services •factors that contribute to the cost of legal representation in Australia •whether the costs charged for accessing justice services and for legal representation are generally proportionate to the issues in dispute •the impact of the costs of accessing justice services, and securing legal representation, on the effectiveness of these services •economic and social impact of the costs of accessing justice services, and securing legal representation •impact of the structures and processes of legal institutions on the costs of accessing and utilising these institutions, including analysis of discovery and case management processes •alternative mechanisms to improve equity and access to justice and achieve lower cost civil dispute resolution, in both metropolitan areas and regional and remote communities, and the costs and benefits of these •reforms in Australian jurisdictions and overseas which have been effective at lowering the costs of accessing justice services, securing legal representation and promoting equality in the justice system •data collection across the justice system that would enable better measurement and evaluation of cost drivers and the effectiveness of measures to contain these. The Commission will report within fifteen months of receipt of the Terms of Reference and will consult publicly. ****** WEBP AGE EXTRACT *******

pdiaco said:
April 11, 2014 at 7:35 AM

If you're still awake then you didn't read my last post :).

dingbell said:
April 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM

thanks jelly, I didn't get past favourite authors and a couple of 'must reads' before I had more than enough books, and that was on my first download. I was given the kindle for Christmas and I still have a couple of books to go. Have read a couple of real books in the meantime as well.

mommyscat said:
April 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Oh dear another string of Comment deleted, I hope we are not going to have another cull of bloggers.

penguin58 said:
April 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Scat, don`t worry l won`t be back l have retired:((

pdiaco said:
April 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Not surprised the comments were deleted, having read them.

pdiaco said:
April 11, 2014 at 11:48 AM

To be more accurate I was not surprised the **thread** of related comments was deleted, rather than any particular comment.

pdiaco said:
April 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Further to the parking fine puzzle, the sign did say in large green characters: Parking 10am - 6pm, 2 Hours. But the car pulled in there at 9:07am, so it was assumed that the 2 Hour limitation did not apply outside the hours of 10am to 6pm, and that one could park in that bay anytime of day or night. Was that correct logic? There are no parking sensors on the ground. There was an additional sign on the pole, high above the 2 hr sign, with red small-lettered verbose wording, which no non-English literate person would be able to read. One had to get out of the car in order to read it. It took 2 minutes for the mind to read, reread in disbelief, recover from the brain-addling mathematical processing. By that time the infringement had already occurred, because a council officer must have been lying in wait out of sight in the adjacent shopping centre car park (free parking) across the road. My friend was probably not the only one who was ambushed that morning. When it was realised that the car was illegally parked, the car was backed several metres into a space that was thought to be free of parking restrictions ( I will check this later).

April 11, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Gee, even my remark was deleted! A first for me! Ah well, I'll check out the new blog and see what's happening.