Which Irish band had a hit with the song "I Don't Like Mondays"?

The Corrs
Westlife
Boyzone
Boomtown Rats

Something new...

Dec
2013

Yes, the SELFIE has made the Oxford dictionary and, delightfully, the OED can track its first use back to a post on the ABC online forum back in 2002. Characteristically for an Australian term, the 'ie' spelling has prevailed over the 'y', in the tradition of the barbie, Aussie, wharfie, truckie, subbie (that's a subcontractor) and chippie (or carpenter/cabinetmaker).

The SELFIE formation, with the diminutive 'ie' on the end of a noun, or abbreviated noun, is pretty standard.

Or you can use the portmanteau style, in which you take two words and join them together either in their entirety or using a abbreviated form of one word or the other (yes, or both). So, if you're looking at Wikipedia, you're also seeing a word formed by combining the Wiki and encyclopedia.

There are more. Jeggings may be a recognised, if unwearable, item and cyborg is now so familiar that we may no longer discern its cybernetic organism origin.

I came across another recently. Journalist  Edwina Storie, http://edwinastorie.tumblr.com/has neologised the word GLADIE to represent someone in that period after teenage years when one is somewhere between a girl and a lady but not yet grown up.

It's an interesting concept, particularly as its becoming clearer that the brain doesn't fully mature until 25 or so. The concept of the teenager was a 20th century creation - this may be the 21st century's contribution.

I think this word is delightful, and it makes a useful distinction. Though I'm bound to say that, at the end of this period, the sign that you've outgrown it would be that you then want to be a WOMAN.

Even more interestingly, what would be the equivalent label for young men? Any ideas?

Something new...

December 16, 2013 at 8:40 PM

oopsie sorry pedro and PD ... what a sillie nanna ... ps did you like how I snuck the ie word in :

acepace said:
December 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Fabulous nanna-j!A girl after my own heartie!!

December 17, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I checked and I think that disgusting name is finally off youplay.I hope everyone is ready for Xmas,we have ours on Xmas eve it`s a scandinavian tradition then we have Xmas day to recover from seeing all the family and numerous dogs

December 17, 2013 at 4:59 AM

I've been reflecting on Elderly Abuse... I have never thought on it before as my family revers its elderly members. The thought saddens me as deeply as child abuse, as in many ways the elderly are as helpless and vulnerable as children. I wonder if it is as prevalent in Australia.

December 17, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Jafa I think it is prevalent every where it`s just hidden as like you say the children don`t have a voice and neither do a lot of the elderly if they are threatened.I don`t understand it as my mother is very special to me,she is the matriach of our family

December 17, 2013 at 5:20 AM

What's more, here in Australia I think we tend to look out for our elderly neighbours as well.

December 17, 2013 at 5:23 AM

That is very true we have a couple of neighbours who are elderly and have fallen,their family very rarely visit them so my husband and I make a point to call in or phone them a couple of times a week

December 17, 2013 at 5:26 AM

My paternal grandmother lived to an old age in her own home in Willoughby, even though her family were spread far and wide, mainly due to the TLC and love from her neighbours. At any time she could have moved in with family but she loved her home and her garden (I can still smell the lavender) and her neighbours (3 sides, all families) kept her close.

December 17, 2013 at 5:36 AM

My mother is elderly and has a heart problem that sees her in and out of hospital,we make sure that one of us always calls in everyday to check on her and see if she needs shopping done.We have all offered to give her a place in our homes but she is very independant and won`t move out of her home,she has her much loved dog ruffie for company

December 17, 2013 at 5:54 AM

It's heart-warming to see independent elderly people. Kudos to them. Many of the abuse problems be they physical, financial or emotional, seems to happen to those who are dependent on others for help. It's hard for them to admit abuse because they are dependent on these people. Some societies revere their elderly but some think that they are just a burden. Sad, really.

pdiaco said:
December 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I'm not going to comment on how Australia's legal system treats the elderly once they've departed from the living.

December 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

There is a concern, though, as to how the elderly are treated while they ARE living.

pdiaco said:
December 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I hate it when my glasses go AWOL.