Who in the UK sits on the 'Woolsack'?

The Lord Speaker
Archbishop of York
A football manager
A shepherd

Determinations

Jan
2013

Yes, one should never make New Year's resolutions, they're always the first to be broken. Nonetheless, to mark the beginning of another stage in the progress (or, for the pedants, regression) of our language, I'm determined to try.

1. I will not flinch when someone describes how they 'grow' their business - I may hate it, but this usage is established.

2. I will not sneer at text-language, even if I encounter it outside the context of a mobile phone or in ordinary conversation.

3. I will not embrace North American spelling - not yet, anyway.

4. Even though I've just holidayed in New Zealand, I will not make any jokes about their vowels. Regional variation in pronunciation is entirely allowable.

5. Even though I live in Australia, I will not complain about the rising inflection at the end of the average Aussie sentence - it's shooting fish in barrels. And besides, I've heard myself doing it...!

New Year's Resolutions

6. I will continue to watch or listen to every Stephen Fry programme ever made, be they repeated ad infinitum (and they are).

7. I will refrain from correcting the grammar/word selection of people on television or the radio - they can't hear you, you know.

8. I will raise a cheering glass to the lexicographers of the world, especially those who commit to describing language, rather than telling us all what to do.

9. I will ignore all the foregoing if I feel like it.

10. I will continue to enjoy the input from YouPlayers - all the best for the coming year.

Any more resolutions, anyone?

Miranda

Determinations

Mojito said:
January 04, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Yes, I came to same conclusion. I'm not making any promises that will get broken only I'm going to enjoy myself this year. Looking after No1.

January 04, 2013 at 5:56 PM

no promises miranda just see what comes

January 04, 2013 at 6:49 PM

it will be a good year as closer to my retirement yep eh

gracie10 said:
January 04, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I will continue to enjoy my grandchildren, especially as I have had another added to the fold (3rd Jan) - Cleo Josephine - brings the total to 5, a very nice new year gift. And I will continue to disregard all other advice, except for that which makes sense to me.

dj1 said:
January 05, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Re Resolution 7, the two expressions which get me shouting at the TV are "you know" and the (fortunately fading) "yeah no". Incidentally, you can always tell when a politician is about to tell a lie when he/she says: "The fact of the matter is..."

January 05, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I hereby renounce and abjure(?) my use of the words "amazing" and "great". There are more specific words to use for each occasion, and it's sheer laziness to resort to the above. How long this amazing resolution will last is....(oops).

January 05, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Well. my New Year's Resolution is to be the best me I can be! (Maybe subliminally spurred on by those Bupa ads.) I am trying to eat better, exercise more, work smarter and be more kind and tolerant of others. At least I'm trying...

January 05, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Or dj1, as Judge Judy says, 'You can tell when a teenager is lying. Their lips are moving.' (PS I do not necessarily agree with her statement but I have quoted her a few times.)

nan_j said:
January 05, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I also do not make any resolutions I just give thanks that I can enjoy each day.

pdiaco said:
January 06, 2013 at 4:28 AM

I resolve to be more perfect than I was last year.

January 06, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Oh, Pdiaco, that t'would be impossible...

gracie10 said:
January 06, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Nice one pdiaco. Have you ever heard the saying, 'If I had any faults, and I haven't, humility wouldn't be one of them'. Haha:)

poolman said:
January 06, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I resolve not to make any resolotions this year. Damm, broken it already!

January 08, 2013 at 1:50 AM

l don`t believe in resolutions if you really want to do something you will do it regardless of what time of year it is

January 08, 2013 at 6:47 AM

That's so true Anne. But there are times when people do need a time or event to herald a new beginning. Personally every day is a new beginning for me. Even through some pretty tough times in my life I always held true that a new sunrise held the potential of a GREAT day!

3femmes said:
January 09, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Is it the 9th already? Before you know it, it will be time for the Royal show, then the Melbourne Cup followed by Christmas and in a blink it'll be New Year 2014 and time to resolve to live well all over again. Perhaps,better not to waste time with resolutions? Happy 2013 everyone.

January 10, 2013 at 4:31 AM

MY husband believes that everyday he wakes up is a great one

Tramp said:
January 10, 2013 at 11:22 AM

New Year's resolutions are not necessary if we reflect on what each day brings and approach our solutions flexibly. Fixed attitudes can get really tiresome and then resolutions go out the window. That's what I've observed.