Which European country was first to introduce banknotes?

England
Germany
France
Sweden

Benefits of coffee

Jul
2012

"The observed benefit of coffee drinking was not enormous - a death rate among coffee drinkers that was 10 to 15 per cent lower than among abstainers"*

Where do I start?

Well, first I'd like to be among the 10 to 15 per cent of coffee drinkers who get to be immortal. For years my coffee dependency has been gently sneered at by those who prefer tea. In the beginning, just any tea. Then there was green tea. White tea. Green tea with extra stuff that eliminated free radicals. Silk tea bags containing green tea with extra... oh, well, you know. And all 'so much better for you, dear' that the death cup of coffee.

In fact, I do enjoy a cup of tea. I just don't like the doom and gloom over the coffee. Besides, I don't take sugar in either tea or coffee and thus can do a little gentle sneering of my own now that sugar's become the new Black Death.

Then I wondered what the other death rates were. They're not stated in the article and I hoped that if I were unimpressed with the 10 to 15 per cent, I might be able to apply for a more generous one.

Coffee

Though I was struck with admiration for the understatement. Yes, I know, it's not the fountain of youth or the elixir of life, but the promise of even a 10 to 15 per cent non-dying event to caffeine addicts is a pretty enormous observed benefit as far as I'm concerned (with the proviso that I am among that elite, and that you don't just hate all coffee drinkers anyway).

Yes, I know this is all nonsense. The term 'death rate' has a precise scientific meaning which renders all the above meanderings absurd.

BUT if you don't know the precise scientific meaning, and I'm suggesting that most people don't, then the announcement above could give rise to misunderstanding, mirth and even more doubting of science that we're currently plagued with. Here's a hint, scientists. Drop in to the languages department before you issue a press statement and run the draft past the linguistics people. Though nothing can protect you from a rushed job in the newsroom.

In the meantime, let's enjoy the silliness of our language. Share your favourites, puzzlers!

*smh.com.au 5th July, 2012

Miranda

NOTE FROM JESSIE:

I'm pleased to announce that the following TWO Premium Members have WON a YouPlay Prize Pack*:

1. New/Renew Premium Sign-Ups Draw (in the last week): Simleewin

2. BONUS All Existing Premium Members Draw: Jackmil

Congrats Winners! Look out for an email from me this week as I'll need to confirm your postal details.

* Winners drawn using a 'Random Number Generator' approved by the NSW Department of Gaming & Racing in March 2008

Jess x

Benefits of coffee

gm1951 said:
July 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I,too, am a coffee drinker although I do take one teaspoon of sugar. Also drink tea without sugar & can drink either with or without milk. MUST have my coffee first up in the a.m. just to get me set up for the day ahead. Had wonderful cappucini in Italiy - much better than most of the ones we get here - maybe it was just the fact that I was in Italy that all coffee & pasta tasted better. I often threaten to gey my husband an intravenous drip for his coffee as he seems to drink it non-stop all day. Does that mean he's immortal (shudder)? I do admit that sometimes one gets one's hopes up reading story headings!

July 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

love my coffee miranda being an exnurse find that a nice hot coffee does wonders each to there own i say thanks for the good read

July 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I prefer coffee to tea, but drink both. Coffee much more often, of course. The only problem I had after my husband died and I was the only person using milk was it constantly went off on me. I bought smaller and smaller containers, with the same result. The only time I use milk is with coffee or tea. Eventually I decided to buy powdered milk with the greatest success. In fact, I prefer latte, and so can just add more teaspoons of powdered milk. My tea, of course, although I like it strong, has much less milk in it. As to the benefits of either, I don't really care. I feel that the entire diet should be reasonably healthy. I.e., not too much starch, not too much fat, plenty of protein, vegetables and fruits. Voila. Healthy foods.

daverave said:
July 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

The coffee I like most is a double choca mocha.It tastes really good without the sickly sweetness of drinking chocolate. I drink tea as well but just the ordinary types of tea-no fancy or herbal teas.

July 19, 2012 at 5:53 AM

The benefits of coffee are not only what's in the coffee. How sad would our social lives become if there were no coffee shops. Meeting a friend for a cup of tea just doesn't sound as gossipy. Also how would romancing couples get on if they can't invite their intended in 'for a coffee'. Tea has its place; a soothing, calming one; while coffee is for naughtiness & fun!

gaetana said:
July 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I also drink both coffee and tea with preference for coffee especially since we were given a little coffee machine that uses coffee capsules. We cant go back to instant coffee but I must admit it is more expensive.I agree everything in Italy tastes better,maybe because we are on holidays?

maggaz said:
July 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I usually only have 2 coffees a day, mainly instant with milk or cream, but when out shopping I really enjoy a long black. Sometimes drink tea,but it seems to always taste better when someone else makes it for me.

mommyscat said:
July 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I prefer tea to coffee, and am also planning to become immortal. Well at least so far it seems to be working :).

postie57 said:
July 20, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Nothing better than starting my day with brekky, my cuppa Timmy's and a puzzle.

July 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM

strong, pure and black - twice a day!

July 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Don't like coffee. But occasional, will have it very strong with bread, sugar, mild cheese and mixed into a nosh in a big cup and gulped down.Very nice.

pattyann said:
July 21, 2012 at 2:39 AM

i like hot coffee in the morning, and iced tea in the afternoon. but cant start my day without one in the morning!

July 21, 2012 at 5:43 AM

I am a serious coffee drinker, I very rarely drink tea (ugh!) and only occasionally take alcohol, so you could say this is my only vice. I sometimes drink de-caffeinated, but in all honesty, cannot tell the difference. My mother who is 93 is also a coffee drinker so maybe she is the 10-15% you mentioned?

Frin05 said:
July 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I didn't drink coffee 40 years ago, but gave up having sugar in my tea for Lent. Suffered through the season and just as Easter was looming, got so used to sugar-free tea that I couldn't go back to it. I drink coffee now (without sugar) and have the occasional cup of black tea about once a week - very refreshing!

bowie12 said:
July 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM

One can't stand the smell of coffee.

relle said:
July 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I can't start my day without a cup of REAL coffee & a game here on YouPlay!