In 2005 US businessman Malcolm Glazer took over which sports organisation?

Central Coast Mariners
Boston Celtics
New York Jets
Manchester United

Consider the frog

Sep
2011

When I'm testing data or programs and I need an example-word, for some reason I use the word 'frog'. I've never worked out why, but I've gradually become fascinated with the word itself.

There's the amphibian, naturally. Then there's all the meanings related to fastening – the frogs of braid which may secure a military jacket or those of other materials which may attach a sword to a belt. Then, there are the spiked frogs which support flowers in a vase, the frog on a violin bow which attaches the strings and the frog on a brick which is the indentation on the larger sides.

The frog which a horse has on the sole of its hoof is not an unfortunately slow specimen but a pad of horn which acts as a shock absorber.

Of course frogs are charming, especially when we compare them to toads. And, yes, I do know that there are ugly frogs and cute toads (and if you don't believe me, just Google each of those phrases). Nonetheless frogs seem to be perceived as a good thing.

I think this is helped by the frequent, and geographically widespread, use of the frog in fable, fairy tales and in sayings. The Japanese wisely point out that a frog in a well does not know the great sea while in Eastern Europe it is held that a frog must know its own pond. Very true.

Of course, in fairy tales the frog is frequently a prince, even a king, in disguise. All very well if you're prepared to kiss them...

In Cockney rhyming slang the 'frog and toad' is a 'road', so hitting the frog, colloquially speaking, does not require the intervention of your local society for the prevention of cruelty to animals. Which might not be the case for the 'frog in a blender' jokes, or the proverbial frog in a frying pan.

Finally, testing data or programs is a precursor to the introduction of something new – the implementation of which is never easy. I'm wondering if my selection of 'frog' as a test word derives from the 'boiling frog syndrome'.

Oh well, back to the burner...

Miranda

Consider the frog

gm1951 said:
September 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Not to forget the word "frog" as a derogatory term (or, some might say, a term of affection ) for a Frenchman and having a "frog" in your throat. We have lots of green frogs in Bundaberg but unfortunately we also have an abundance of cane toads - they are definitely NOT attractive no matter how you look at them.

September 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Just to add yet another... in a railway point (or switch) the crossover construction that provides for the flanged wheel to cross the other line is also known as a frog. How this amazing word came to mean so many unrelated things is anybody's guess!!

September 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM

FROG is also an acronym for Fully Rely On God.On another point when I have to type a test word, I type hello.

MikeT said:
September 13, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Maybe it's not the word frog but the start 'fr'. Whenever I tested data I would usually start with fred then frank then freda or friar tuck or whatever - some permutation. But interestingly I don't think I ever did frog.

Xrosie said:
September 13, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Frogs where I live mean heavy rain, and occasionally snakes. Love them when they call

thekoala said:
September 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM

not to mention the 'Timeless, Scrumptious, -FREDDOFROG-.....Yummy!!!

September 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM

give me a freddofrog over a caramello koala any day...... :)

gm1951 said:
September 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Especially the raspberry & peppermint filled Freddos - yum. Flowing caramel is a bit boring after a while.

GodzGirl said:
September 17, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Frog or no frog, it's 1am, I have a VERY sore tooth and am sooooo GLAD & THANKFUL for YouPlay...great time for me to Fully Rely On God...

September 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Lets not forget the Frogman... a person who swims underwater wearing a wetsuit, flippers and air tanks.

September 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

When unpicking sewing quilters often call it frogging, 'rip it, rip it, rip it'. Not sure if this applies to other sewers.

September 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I don't prattle on about about the divine noodly appendage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please leave your god faiths at home at home.

luvdrake said:
September 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM

wow the flying speghetti monster thats harsh i dont know what in talking about i just wanted to say something

September 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Ok then, How about Fully Rely On Gremlins..(F R O G) .....nah, GG's one sounds better. Hope your tooth is feeling better GodzGirl

September 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM

More FROG abbreviations - something for everyone here ha... For the Academic & Science and Electronics whiz kid ~ Frequency Resolved Optical Gating, for the Government & Military Personnel ~ Free Rocket Over Ground. For the crafty Architect ~ Finished Room Over Garage, For the budding Scientist ~ Fresh Reservoir Oxygen Generator and for the Business guru ~ Flow Reduced Orifice Gauge. Seems like the word/abbreviation FROG is used more often than we think!

relle said:
September 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM

My darling grandkids giggle with excitement to my song.....Glump Glump went the little green frog one day!!!! Now that has to be the best way to consider a frog! lol

September 25, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Oh I love the frog song! I especially love when they go la di da di da instead of glump, glump, glump. Just for the record I am quite at home on YouPlay and am happy for all to express beliefs but we all have the choice to agree or disagree. The importance is that we have a safe place in which to do so! If you choose to believe in the divine spaghetti monster I won't stop your choice. I give you the freedom to choose!

whippet said:
September 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Hi Relle. Read your comment this morning and have had a certain little green frog song playing over and over in my mind all day :-)

louigi said:
September 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Near where I live, there is a hill with a large rock poking out of it that was shaped very much like a frog. Rumor says that, one night some years ago a group of Marines from the nearby Army post climbed that hill with buckets of green and yellow paint and gave color to the "frog."

b0ad1cea said:
September 26, 2011 at 3:37 AM

Mustn't forget our childish introduction by way of the game of LEAP-FROG and at the other end of life when we shall finally CROAK IT!