Which is a filled tortilla?

Waft
Weft
Wrap
Weal

There's a killer on the loose...

Apr
2013

By Jessie

Just because you all enjoyed this Sudoku tutorial blog post so much, today I thought we'd take a look at ADDOKU.

Addoku is a variant of Sudoku that is sometimes called "Sum Doku" or "Killer Sudoku". The puzzles became popular in Japan in the 1990s, before they were introduced to the rest of the world by The Times in 2005. Combining the logic of Sudoku with the unique number combinations found in Kakuro, Addoku can often be easier to solve, despite its formidable name.

Unlike Sudoku, you don't begin an Addoku puzzle with any pre-determined numbers. Instead, the grid features individual cells linked by a pre-determined total. These cells must then be filled with non-duplicate numbers from 1 to 9 to match the totals and complete the puzzle.

More of a visual learner? Watch the tutorial by Christine Lovatt and feel it all click into place!

It's time to put your new skills to the test. Try your hand at today's Easy Addoku puzzle.

Feeling confident? Test your Addoku prowess with today's Extreme challenge!

A quick update for Easter Hunt Winners...

I have now sent confirmation emails to all Easter winners, with details on how to claim your prize. If you have not yet received this email (sent to the address you provided when you signed up to YouPlay), check your Spam folder and then please contact me. To those who have already responded - thanks! Keep an eye on the mailbox - your prize will be on its way early next week.

Jessie x

There's a killer on the loose...

April 11, 2013 at 4:25 PM

oh christine i need you here .you are really good thanks

MikeT said:
April 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I'd agree that it's much easier to solve. I find the extra dimension adds more interest too, though once you know the permutions that add up to the numbers it can become a little formulaic.

Mojito said:
April 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I'll give it ago B)

mommyscat said:
April 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM

April 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I also love the addoku puzzles, and all of the number puzzles. Definately prefer these to crosswords, though I do these too

bigsister said:
April 13, 2013 at 6:01 AM

Have been doing addoku for a few years now and enjoy the online ones to the book ones as we get instant results. I still do the book ones from time to time though. Keep the little grey cells active, thanks

mommyscat said:
April 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I get the books too bigsister, I keep them in my handbag for when I am sitting in the bus or train or in doctors waiting rooms. They are just the right size to take along.

jencur said:
April 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I love addokus and also the shapeshifter addokus, cant get enough of them, and am so proud that I can do the extreme ones, it boosts my confidence for more.

mommyscat said:
April 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I agree with that jencur

Rosie20 said:
April 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I too prefer addoku to sudoku, but whereas there are many sudoku books, we can seldom find any addoku books. I do them online here, but like to have the books - but when I searched on this site I could not find them listed to purchase. Am I blind?

Jessie: Hi Val2, Lovatts publish a Handy-sized title with lots of Addoku puzzles called (perhaps somewhat confusingly!) Handy Killer Sudoku + Kakuro . You can purchase this title from the Lovatts store by following this link

April 18, 2013 at 3:34 AM

avatar mommyscat said: April 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM I love the addokus, and since I discovered them they have become my favourite puzzle. I also do the shapeshifter addokus which are a bit more challenging but they are all good fun ____________________ And yes, unlike some sudoku (lots of) published here, they are unambiguous, with one and only solution.

September 10, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Should create a game ( a sudoko format game) having a combination of numbers (0 - 9) and letters (say a,b,c,d and e)