Later a film starring Anthony Hopkins, Kazuo Ishiguro won the 1989 Booker Prize with which novel?

"Remains Of The Day"
"Titus"
"Silence Of The Lambs"
"Nixon"

Secrets of Sudoku

Mar
2013

By Jessie

I've had a passion for solving puzzles since I was a teenager, but for a long time I was terrified about trying anything new. Being a 'word nerd' I always assumed I'd fail spectacularly at anything other than Crosswords or Word Puzzles, especially if numbers were involved.

Then I began working at Lovatts/YouPlay and as you can imagine, I was quickly forced out of my comfort zone. Cautiously - and with all the fumbling awkwardness of a woman well-aquainted with mockery - I tried my hand at an Easy Sudoku puzzle - and sure enough, I failed! I got so frustrated that I avoided them for the next 12 months.

When YouPlay launched back in 2006 part of my job was site testing - and my lame excuses for avoiding Sudoku just wouldn't cut it anymore ("But they give me a rash!") Eventually, a colleague took pity on me and sat me down for an intensive tutorial. And all of a sudden, things just clicked.

I'm happy to say that (even though I'm still bamboozled by the harder levels) I actually enjoy the challenge of solving Logic Puzzles now. And as a former Sudoku-phobe, I have a lot of empathy for YouPlayers who write to me sharing their own fears about this style of puzzle.

So in the interests of community development and wellbeing, I thought I'd share with you this fantastic Sudoku tutorial by guru Christine Lovatt. It clearly explains the basics and will definitely get you started on a Beginner-level puzzle .

Feeling more confident? What are you waiting for? Jump into a Sudoku puzzle today!

It's almost Easter...

And that means the annual YouPlay Easter Egg Hunt is almost heEaster Egg!re!

Be sure to visit us again early next week to join in all the fun - great prizes will be up for grabs!

Jessie x

Secrets of Sudoku

March 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

thanks jess and christine will now have a go and not give up

March 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

yay done i did it finally

granma01 said:
March 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I love doing Sudoku. They really get the "old grey matter" working. Any chance of having Logic grid puzzles? These are also a lot of fun to solve. Keep up the great work.

dhamaong said:
March 23, 2013 at 2:47 AM

well jess u made it souds sooo eariee , well I try it. thanks

March 23, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Like you Jessie, when I joined in 2007 I was a 'anythingtodowithnumbersphobe'. Then competitions came along where I HAD to complete number puzzles in order to be in the running to win a prize. I remember once writing to the fondly remembered Troy & begging him to allow me to not do the number puzzles but still be in the comp, he kindly agreed but urged me to give it a go. So, one day I thought to myself if the rest of the YP world can do these why can't I? I sat and stared at a Sudoku Easy screen thinking "where do I start" then realising that being transfixed to the puzzle in front of me wasn't going to give me the answer I had a "logic attack" clicked on 'Hint' a couple of times and everything started to fall into place. Today I'm a numberholic and do all the humber puzzles everyday although Hitori Island still escapes me (any tips??). In a strange way it's a feeling of being complete when it comes to tackling puzzles and getting the grey matter working and meeting a challenge. Thank you YP, I believe Alzheimers will never be a problem for me because of this site & Lovatts publications. YAY granma01, I've been asking for years for Logic grid puzzles to no avail, maybe if we get more people on board it might happen?? Strange how the logical mind works, how come I've been able to do grid logics but had such a hard time working out number logics, I always said it was because maths wasn't my strong point but it really has nothing to do with maths. Happy puzzling Deb

ValK said:
March 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I originally found 'Sudoko' about 30 years ago. It was in the American Dell Pencil Puzzles books under the name 'NumberPlace'. they only had about 6 every month, and I liked them so much and craved for more that I collected them and photocopied them so I could do them many times (there was no way I could remember where the numbers went). Then when Christine began publishing the books (with pencils attache :)) I would buy about 3 of them to keep me going until the next publishing day. lol. Like others above, I too would like to see Logic puzzles with the grids. Also, I have recently found Binary puzzles, and love them too! Would others like Binary puzzles? Tally Ho. I hope no-one wants a cooked meal. ValK

Mojito said:
March 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I arrived here because of Sudoko.

March 23, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Me too Mojito. But the computer version with its instant correction is not as challenging and paper and pencil ones. Now I enjoy Calkuro. Imagine doing them without instant correction! PS Jesse, I could do with some hints for Cryptic Crosswords.

March 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM

i too joined cos of sudoko , but now play a variety of games as wel;

March 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Jafa I agree with your comment. Still a lot of fun, but because it allows you to do trial and error, and lights up to show you when you've got a line right, it's not nearly as hard as doing it with pencil and paper.

ValK said:
March 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

After Sudoku for many years, I happened onto Addoku. I think it is far better than Sudoku. Originally published 3-monthly, it is now every 2 months, and the newsagents here only get 4 copies each. I snap them up if I see them because I give them away. My grand-daughters enjoy them, also some of my friends now. As I can seldom find any copies in newsagents I think we need more. ... please?

March 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM

ValK..after your comments I've tried Addoku...very addictive!!!Thanks...I think...

March 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I was a Sudoku avoider for many months after I came here, together with Hitori Island. One day I sat down and followed the instructions of HI step by step and suddenly it all fell into place. Next came Sudoku, it took me FOREVER, but now my times are ever improving and I have moved on to the second level. It feels good to conquer those challenges :)

MikeT said:
March 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Now for those of us that a linguistically challenged, some hints on crosswords - my brain isn't good at linking words with descriptions - it happens in there somewhere, but I seem to have no control over it. Are also bored with sudoku so it's calkuro, addoku, kakuro for me, but most often, for a rapid fire fix - ripple effect.

March 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

ValK - the Lovatts Circulation Manager has asked if you could please let me know which newsagent you buy your mags from - he will check supply for you.

lucilleaa said:
March 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Valk thank you ... I read your comment on binary puzzles...I had never heard of them before, so I googled and found a site that explained the rules, and went through some tips, and plays online..now i am hooked!!! I would definitely love to see binary puzzles here!

Zacpark said:
April 04, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Hi Jafa, I'm a Cryptic Crosswords nut... I'm no expert but I love the challenge. I started many years ago with one of Lovatts little monthly Cryptic Crossword books (available at the newsagents). They have a couple of pages at the front explaining all the different types of clues and how to solve them. I think there are 3 different levels of difficulty, so get one and start with an easy level. You'll soon be addicted and they are so good for the grey matter!! Happy Crypticing ... is that a word??

April 14, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Thanks Zacpark, re. Cryptic Crosswords. I've been trying but the clues are 'gobble-do-gook' to me. I can see the logic in some but others... eg, 'Protest meeting held in beachside motel? Answer- demo' I don't get the reference to the beachside motel??? Is there one?

granma01 said:
April 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Hi Jafa answer is in beachside motel. DE from beachside MO from motel.Hence meeting held inside beachside motel. hope this clears that one up.

April 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Nope. Still don't get the DE for beachside... (starting to feel stupid)

April 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Is it the last 2 letters of beachside and first 2 of motel, beachsiDE MOtel (light goes on)... so, you find the answer written in the clue!?! Yip, yip, I'm off to try another one. Thanks Granma01.

April 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I think I've got it... at last! Thanks for your help guys.

April 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Jafa try Christines Cryptic Tutuorial on the Lovatts site...got me sorted re types of clues.

April 16, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Thanks for the 'heads up', Stitchpuzz. I'll check it out...