'A man's got to know his limitations' was the last line from WHICH 1973 film?

"Taxi Driver"
"Terminator"
"Magnum Force"
"Brokeback Mountain"

YouPlay Street Party -YEAH!

Jan
2011

By Jessie

An interesting fact you might not know about YouPlay.com is that we have a high percentage of members who have been around for a long time... who keep coming back to visit. If you're reading this blog, you're probably one of them. And in the hyperactive land of the interweb, well, that is indeedy something for us all to feel proud about. You know why? Because longevity = community, something that's rare as hens teeth to find elsewhere in cyberspace and beyond.

So firstly, I'd like to thank you all very much for your continued support of YouPlay as we absolutely positively couldn't do it without you. And secondly, I'd like to ask you this: how would you like to take the friendships you share within the YP community into the real world? At a get-together in your neighbourhood. I'm thinking that would be mighty fine hmm? Well, guess what? A group of YouPlayers from QLD are doing just that...

Each year, members from around the Mt Gravatt region have been meeting at a local watering hole to wine, dine and boast about impressive Trivia Combat scores (probably). This year's get together will be the third for the group, and believe me I have heard all the inside goss about just how much fun there is to be had (the photos and story from last year can be viewed here). So if you are lucky enough to live in the Mt Gravatt QLD area, pop along to Dicey's Irish Pub in Garden City on Thursday 13th Jan from 11am to experience the joyousness first hand.

For the rest of us, here's a thought - why not organise a group meet of your own? Choose a local cafe, park or other public meeting place, decide on a time and date and send me the details at jessicag@lovattspublishing.com. I'll publish the event so members in your area are informed, and I'll even send you a special pack of YouPlay goodies to get the fun started. Spread the word among your family/friends/local community and hey presto - instant parrrty! What a great way to connect with like-minded people who share a passion for puzzles (and are genuinely interested in how you cracked the Cryptic Crossword three days in a row...)

So go on - throw a party! And take lots of pics! And I'll put them up so everyone can see!

Tasty Trivia

Now folks, hands up if you like Trivia. Ok, keep your hands up if you also like food. Ooh. Yep I thought so, that's a LOT of hands waving about... Oh my. Actually you can put them down now, it's getting creepy, like zombie hands...

[ahem]

Since Trivia and food happen to be mutual passions of mine, I am very excited to bring you the sneaky peeky preview news that a delicious new quiz game called Tasty Trivia is a-comin to YouPlay. Like REALLY soon, so stay tuned and start stock-piling snacks because I guarantee you will become both addicted and hungry.

In the meantime, why not play Treasure Dive Trivia . Argh, quick! Don't let that poor diver drown! [glug glug...]

Adios for now amigos,

Jessie x

YouPlay Street Party -YEAH!

kathgal said:
January 11, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Unfortunately the get together planned for this Thursday will be postponed due to the flood crisis here in South East Queensland :(

January 11, 2011 at 9:39 PM

POSTSCRIPT: Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the devastating floods across the state of Queensland and parts of NSW. Jessie and the YP Team.

yow1e said:
January 12, 2011 at 7:13 AM

I was a toowoomba resident (taylor st). The death's and floods up there, shook me. Normally the creek which runs through (and beside the railway line) the township is only 3 to 4 ft deep, For it to have been (as seen) 5 ft deep, mean's it must have risen from that 3/4 ft to 15/20 ft. Right now the richmond river has been doing the elevator session, and my concern now is for friends who live down at lismore.

dyingsun said:
January 12, 2011 at 3:43 PM

It's gut-wrenching to hear of the tragedies unfolding up north. Still, we're Aussies, and I'm proud as hell in the knowledge that we'll all rise to the occasion and do EVERYTHING we can to help those affected. Let's show the world just what being Australian is all about.

oziangel said:
January 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM

My thoughts and hopes got out to all you guys in Queensland, (except for the b**** looters) I will keep you in my prayers.

relle said:
January 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM

My prayers & thoughts also! And so true... dyingsun... we are a caring nation & it is showing daily with all the help at hand! At these times I'm proud to be an Aussie! Hope we all can be involved in some way! Thanks for looking after my family in Ipswich Australia!

Lillypop said:
January 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM

There are so many people in Queensland (and other states) who have been affected by these floods both directly and indirectly. Our thanks go to all the volunteers and organisations who are doing their best to get everything back to 'normal' as quickly as possible.

Lillypop said:
January 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM

And if you ARE in the SE Qld region, stay tuned to this channel for further updates on our postponed get-together. We are currently looking at meeting up some time in the Easter school holiday break to allow YouPlayers to travel from Toowoomba, the Sunshine Coast, Ipswich, and Nth NSW.

January 19, 2011 at 7:39 PM

on the news i saw a teenager girl trying to fight the floods and i think she got hold of a post and she let go or was rescued or died (i do not know because my brother was HYPO and NOISY so i could not hear)

January 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM

How thankful I am that the floods have not affected anyone in my family but I am sick with sorriness for the people who are suffering so badly. At present they must be thinking life will never return to normal but eventually it will improve although things will not ever be the same again. Keep smilng as much as possible

relle said:
January 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM

So very sad to see the family put their Wife, Mum & son to rest today! As a wife, Mum & G'ma I feel for your pain & hope you are surrounded with people that love & care for you! RIP Mother & son.<3

mad20 said:
March 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Has anyone noticed that when using internet explorer, partiularly with Windows Vista, that when playing Quiz Time, the questions keep repeating over and over, therefore people remember the correct answer and subsequently get very high scores. So don't be fooled that they are exceptionally clever, it's just a case of having a fair to good memory.