What type of person is "Shrek"?

Ogre
Warlock
Wizard
Goblin

QLD Flood Crisis

Jan
2011

By Jessie

Over the past week or so I've received many requests from YouPlayers to write about the recent disastrous events currently unfolding across SE QLD and elsewhere throughout Australia, and I am only too glad to oblige. So many of our members have been affected by the extensive and utterly destructive flooding, either directly, or through the losses experienced by friends and family.

As for the devastation and havoc wreaked by the floods themselves, well, I’m not sure if words are even up to the task of conveying my shock and disbelief. Images of almost unfathomable destruction have rolled continuously across our televisions as residents recount the horrors of submerged cities and suburbs. Houses, shops, cars, trees, animals, people, all surreally engulfed by an immense wall of water.  I have been moved to tears almost daily by the heartbreaking loss of life, those snatched in a second.

But even ruins can reveal tales of hope and inspiration. The heroic actions by rescuers – a great percentage of whom were volunteers - will forever be remembered, and the enormous response by businesses and individuals to provide relief and raise money to help the state of QLD rebuild really makes you believe in the power of communities.

One image that will remain with me forever is of the little tug boat that averted certain catastrophe by single-handedly maneuvering an enormous 300-tonne section of concrete boardwalk that was heading directly for the supports of Brisbane’s major bridge - truly one of the best examples ever of how you don’t have to be big to make a big difference. You can watch the video here.

I guess the aftermath of a disaster is not the time for words, but for action. As thousands of amazing QLD citizens march to the aid of their fellow citizens armed with mops and buckets, bottled water and vegemite sandwiches, those of us who live elsewhere can provide support through financial donations. The Managing Director of Lovatts Publications/YouPlay recently donated $2500 to the relief fund and we’ve also set up a collection where individual staff can contribute. Why not set up a similar scheme at your workplace or community group? Alternatively, you can donate online to the Premier’s Disaster Relief Fund  - every little bit helps!

On behalf of all of us here at Lovatts and YouPlay, I extend our deepest sympathies for those affected by flooding and our thoughts and prayers are with you. If you have a story, I'd love you to share it below.

Jessie x

QLD Flood Crisis

gioconda said:
January 20, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Yes it has been a tragedy, my life has changed because of it, as I knew some one who drowned, we were isolated too but thank God we are all well may God bless all those who have suffered, my heart goes out to them

cybergran said:
January 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I'm at the other side of the world and there is little I can do except extend my deepest sympathy to all thos affected by the floods, especially to those who have lost loved ones. We have seen the devastation daily on our TV screens and have watched in disbelief and horror as the situation unfolded. Keep safe and well.

bika said:
January 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Thank you Jessie. I am a resident of Brisbane and I want to thank those members of the YP community that have expressed their good wishes and have sympathised (and empathised) with the dreadful experience of recent events. Witnessing the generosity of spirit, time and resources of people, both near and far, has restored my faith in humankind. I am incredibly proud of my fellow Queenslanders, in the first instance, but also of my fellow Australians. Aussie Aussie Aussie - oi oi oi.

reffie said:
January 20, 2011 at 10:29 PM

bika....... I totaly agree in the restoration of faith in humankind. This experience was also well eveident here in Victoria when those horrid wildfires came through and left nothing of beautiful places such as Marysville and Kinglake. I just hope that everyone that can help does and that those in regional Victoria and also those in N.S.W that are affected also by inundation are supported by all those great AUSSIES!!!!!

January 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Thank you for giving us this chance to communicate with each other, Jessie. There are other members that I'm sure we're worried about, and would like to hear that they're safe. It's been such a devastating experience for so many people, my heart goes out to you all. God bless.

LorieZ54 said:
January 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I have only chatted a few times with some of the folks in the YP chats and I wanted to say I have learned a lot about how different we all are on different continents but how much ALIKE we all are as people who care about people we don't even know personally, may never meet anywhere but here, but you are all in my thoughts and prayers daily. God Bless you all and keep you safe, LZ54

deeneecee said:
January 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Best of luck to all those affected by these terrible floods. Luckily I have only had to cope with shortages in the shops, which was easily dealt with. It will take a long time for some to recover, and unfortunately, some never will. It has been a great tragedy, that no one could foresee. Our thoughts are with you.

January 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Hi Jessie, My daughter lives in Ipswich but was not affected by the water. She is a volunteer, I say IS as this weekend found her there again. The loss of peoples personal possessions is heartbreaking, as the mud covered things are loaded into trucks. Glancing at peoples faces as they uncover loved items and photos etc brings you to tears. So we need to give what we can. Remember that mud is toxic. If you havent yet, look around your house what are you willing to loose, if you were put in the same place. Our prayers are with them, and please give to the Premiers fund relief and may God make the insurance companies see the light.

puzzicad said:
January 25, 2011 at 6:59 PM

nice to know that the image that will "stay with you for ever" is of a brisbane bridge being "saved". - as of 24 Jan parts of two more residents of the Lockyer valley were found , bringing the total dead to 22 - not many if you live in brisbane (the only place of any importance to the media ) but 7% of the population and probably your neighbour or family member if you live in grantham.At least we know where we stand in the order of importance. I suppose you will be whingeing about the price of veges soon because of the devastation to the farming community in this area. So pleased your bridge is still standing.

gioconda said:
January 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM

thank you all for your support to our Queenslanders, we are all very grateful, wish I could do more, but we are strong and will recover love to every one who have supported our victims xx

February 02, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I am sorry to all you people in Queensland having to cope with all this mess through mother nature again. I hope all goes well to everyone there. The rest of australia will support you again as we as a country always support each other.

relle said:
February 02, 2011 at 5:39 PM

How cruel is mother nature! For all those affected, our prayers & thoughts are with you. Back off Yasi, you are not welcome! Stay safe Q'landers.

G177 said:
February 03, 2011 at 5:45 AM

My prayers go out to all those residents of Cairns and the surrounding areas (including my niece) at this frightening time, Gill (in the UK)

dj1 said:
February 04, 2011 at 8:54 PM

My sympathy to all those affected by flood and wind, especially to our YouPlay colleagues. And no, puzzicad, I am not going to whinge about the price of vegetables.

jess5171 said:
February 05, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Now there is Cyclone Yasi Bananas are now $5.98 at woolworths!

gioconda said:
February 08, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Never give up The floods in Queensland have taken every thing People don't smile, birds don't sing Lives have been lost, they are gone Leaving so many of us alone The sorrows for children, their mum and dad The homes they lost, it is so sad But we are Queenslanders, we are strong No matter what's happened or what went wrong We will survive once again Even though we endured so much pain One day this will be a sad memory to us all But we Queenslanders will stand strong and tall We thank those people who saved our lives The children, mothers, fathers, husband and wives Once again people will smile and birds will sing Once again love will conquer alland happiness it'll bring So folks out there do not despair We all have to look forward to a better year GIOCONDA

February 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM

words cannot say enough how sad this made me feel my thoughts and prayers are with all queenslanders

February 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM

What a dreadful disaster! I applaud the many people who put their own lives at risk to save the many animals who would have drowned if they hadn't have gone to their rescue. Look at the wonderful man who lassoed horses off roofs of houses!! What a wonderful person you are! And the "chopper" pilots who saved so many people.Please dig deep & give to any appeal you see for flood relief.