Change the last letter of WHICH word to make: 'hair treatment which gives long-lasting waves'?

Pert
Pane
Peek
Pear

NEW GAME: Word Power!

Jul
2010

By Jessie

This week I have nothing to say except IT’S TIME TO GET EXCITED as we launch not one, not two, but THREE fabulous new features!

It’s like Christmas! In July!

[Legal representative for the International Body of ‘Yuletidey’ Themed Restaurants: “We demand you retract that last statement. It’s a blatant infringement of our intellectual property.” Me (scoffing a mince pie): “Um…oh”.]

Without further ado, I bring you...

NEW GAME: Word Power!

OK I’ll admit from the outset that I am hugely biased about this game ‘cause it’s right up my word nerd alley and all – but I jump up and down LOVE it! I really, really do. It’s so much fun – and you know why? Because you can play it in two completely different ways: either in a turbo-charged frenzy, striving to claw your way up the dizzying heights of the leader board.

Alternatively you can meander along at a thoughtful, chin stroking pace, considering each question carefully, weighing up the options, perhaps having a quiet chuckle over a canny double-meaning or pun, jotting down an interesting lexical titbit to follow up with later research – all in a measured, scholarly manner that would out-Plato even Plato. Were he alive to play. Maybe.

Anyway don’t just take my word for it - if you love Trivia and language and you love Word Games…

Play Word Power NOW!

NEW APP: Football Fever!

Apparently, over the last month or so there’s been some big sports event on. Not sure but I think there were quite a few countries participating and I believe there was a ball involved.

But of course I jest! Perhaps my lame jokes are a direct result of sleep deprivation as I’ve been eagerly following the coverage, setting my alarm for the dead of night to catch all the live action, whipping up bowls of nachos to snack on during the Mexican games, pork pies for the English games and for Slovenia…um, hmm. (However, as you may have noticed, eventually all things are reduced to food for me.)

The World Cup may sadly have come to an end – but footy fever lives on with the brand new YP Football Trivia App. Blow a vuvuzela ! Knock your knee on the coffee table in excitement then dramatically collapse in a heap clutching at your head! This App is amazing, it’s been getting fantastic reviews and – wait for this – it’s FREE!

Download the YP Football Trivia App NOW!

NEW CLUB: Game Reviews!

The more eagle-eyed of you may have noticed that something called a ‘Game Club’ has quietly taken up residence where the old Book Club tab used to be. This is true. The Book Club is dead. We shan’t dwell on the hows or the whys, suffice to say that it just wasn’t working out for us. These things happen. We learn, we move on.

But the Game Club is here now! And it’s where we’ll be diligently reviewing the many quality third party games of all shapes and sizes available to download from – yep, you guessed it - our Download Categories list. There are literally thousands on offer, which can be overwhelming if you’re not sure where to start. But our ace review team will now do the hard work for you. We will be tough but fair. And if YOU’VE got a favourite game, you can also submit it for us to review. I hope you do! More on this next time but for now…

Visit the Game Club!

(stops for breath) Jessie x

NEW GAME: Word Power!

apollanen said:
November 02, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I love playing the puzzles, but it is frustrating when I play on average 100 plus games a day for my 1 or 2 million points, but am quickly overtaken by some who only play 5 to 10 games of Hitori Island.

daffydill said:
November 03, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I really can't see the point in scoring when - (a)people manipulate the way they enter the answers just so they can get their names listed as high scorers; (b) sometimes there are oodles of players with the same score even though some have taken from a couple of minutes to some with over half an hour to complete the puzzle; (c) then there are those who receive hundreds of thousands of points, which surely must be a malfunction in the scoring system. It is so disheartening when one has completed a puzzle quickly and accurately only to score a miserable amount of points. As I said, what is the point of having scoring?

Staff

Dr. Play said:
November 03, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Okay, so far it looks like we'll be changing the scoring model for daily puzzles to record the first play of the day on the leader boards. This will be done for the crosswords soon, with the other daily puzzles to follow soon after. In the meantime, keep the comments coming, we love feedback! ;-)

daffydill said:
November 03, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Dr Play's comment - "In the meantime, keep the comments coming, we love feedback! ;-)" If you would like us to give more feedback, wouldn't be a good idea, then, to have a thread set up for just that?

grub84 said:
November 03, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I am one of the players who acheive ridiculous scores in hitori island; this is a result of the boost bar becoming frozen at the maximum of x9 so even when i'm not clicking on any squares my points are still multiplying. Would love the system to be changed so as to better reflect my ability not a computer glitch. As regards having more than one score in the highest scores list per day, this is a result(for me anyway)of doing the archived puzzles from before i joined the site, not repeating the daily puzzle over and over. For me, the simple enjoyment of doing the puzzles is more important than what score i can achieve or scoring higher than others.

Staff

Dr. Play said:
November 03, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Thanks for the info, grub84! :-)

November 03, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Personally I don't see a need for leader boards for scoring. The pleasure of completion is more essential to me.

Birdman01 said:
November 03, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Hi yp gang......ditto ditto with all of the above. I have a bit of an issue with how Quizzard is operating atm. It says that each time to play it it's random so you get a new set of questions...........but this isn't so of late. If you go through and answer so 9 questions and get one wrong and then abort the game and then play again immediately......quite often you get the same set of ten questions so it has enabled the player to have a preview of the questions asked and be ready to click away and hence the quicker times and higher scores just lately. Anyhow that's my gripe.......happy puzzling dudes and dudettes....regards Birdie

Birdman01 said:
November 03, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Oh sorry.....a bit more complaining from me......how do we explain the "zero" times shown for the top five in many of the games lately ?? It is happening on most days now and i've seen it on Quizzard and Ripple Effect...........not sure if it's occuring in the other games too......seems to be a glitch just of late.........bye again yp puzzlers and admin..ers Birdie

Pagan said:
November 04, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Hi everyone, I like the opportunity to improve my score throughout the day. I usually play early in the mornings, which means that I am hardly awake for the first few tries and my brain most certainly isn't in gear at that time. What I'd like to know is how some people manage to complete the trivia puzzles in 20 or 30 seconds. I know I'm not the fastest thinker out there but it takes longer than that for me just to click through without even reading the questions {I tried it a couple of times out of curiosity}. On a different note, I'm not into sports at all and I am getting very frustrated by the sheer amount of sporting questions that are making their way into the trivia games. I don't know, nor do I care who won what sporting even back in 1999. Why not give these sporting questions their own trivia game? You certainly have enough questions to do so and more than likely enough sports mad members who would love it.... Cheers Pagan.

willyum said:
November 04, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Anyone that can do a Codecracker in less than one minute or a Cryptic Crossword in less than one minute would have to be an Alien with super powers.Or do we have geniuses in our midst? I am 67 years old and quite happy to get up in the top ten in cryptics and even Wordpower sometimes but I still think the scoring system is a mystery!

November 05, 2010 at 9:17 AM

There are people who enjoy printing out the crossword and completing it sitting in the sun with a cup of coffee. No problem. Others take their time, pause and resume. Bear in mind that as there are no prizes for high scores, any method of completing a crossword is acceptable. We're playing games here, not competing for rewards. Impossibly high scores, as we've been discussing, should be impossible to achieve. There is a glitch, and it needs to be remedied, to satisfy the majority who just want to see a decent score for a good effort.

willyum said:
November 07, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Just had another session with wordpower, Cryptics and Code Cracker. The faster I got the worse my scores got! Gotta be something wrong somewhere! How can anybody do a cryptic or a code cracker in under a minute??? Also I believe archive puzzles should be randomised, not put in chronological order. Comments people. Love the games nevertheless.

Pagan said:
November 08, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Hi willyum, getting a fast time in the crosswords and code cracker is easy if you can touch type at a reasonable speed. Solve the puzzle from a print out then just type in the answers, but as you noticed faster times usually get lower scores. In the cast of the code craker it is much the same thing solve it a couple of times and being able to touch type you don't need to look for the right keys.

November 08, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I'm not sure that I agree with the archive puzzles being randomised. If you have been away from a computer for some time, e.g. on holiday, it would be hard to find the puzzles that you have missed.

rhve said:
November 08, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I can't see any point in randomising the archives. What exactly is it supposed to achieve?

deeneecee said:
November 08, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I don't like the idea of randomising the archives either. When the Sudoku went down that path, I couldn't select select them in any order. I also ask "What is it going to achieve". If anything, when the score is submitted it could show that it is an archived puzzle, OR, Do away with scoring the Archived puzzles.

November 08, 2010 at 3:12 PM

I don't want crosswords archives randomised. I'm currently working the cryptic archive and enjoy the challenge of completing undone puzzles. I'd just like to be able to pick the page from the first page rather than having to select archive before I see the page numbers.Alternately being able to order the archive to see undone puzzles first.

November 08, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Eeek! Please don't randomise the puzzles! I'm still catching up on the Hitori Island puzzles I missed whilst in hospital for three weeks.

grub84 said:
November 08, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Double Eeek! As someone who cant get online every day, randomising the puzzles would be very frustrating! I spend most of my time doing the archived puzzles from days I miss or from before I joined YouPlay. Randomising them would make it harder to locate the games I have not yet played.

November 10, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Randomising archives would remove the chance of doing a new puzzle each time or catching up on missed ones. With many of my favourites I have already reached months before I joined.... like others have said. As for irregularities in scoring who cares .....I'm addicted to ENJOYING puzzles NOT what they score. Complainers ....GET A LIFE!

willyum said:
November 12, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Me again! Just a quick question to Deeneecee. How on earth did you manage to score 51507 points doing a Cryptic? Would love to know how it's done out of curiosity. Keep up the good work and us all guessing! Willyum

deeneecee said:
November 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Sorry Willyum, But as far as I can remember, I have never reached any more than 43,000, although there may have been a 44,000 a long time back. I only recently changed my favourite game on my profile from Sudoku to Cryptic, and on doing so, I saw that score of 51507 there as my personal best. I had a good laugh about it, because I know it never happened. But something seems to tell me that one day my score came up wrong on the leaderboards, when it had been actually a lot less. So perhaps that was it. Pity though.

November 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Yes, I've had a similar experience, with a huge score appearing on Hitori Island, when I know it was only an average game, which in my case is very ordinary. Scores can be very misleading.

willyum said:
November 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Thank you Deeneecee for your answer and Beauregarde for your comment. Daffydill has some really valid observations too! I would like to point out that it is not sour grapes on my part or even jealousy but being a Libran I have that sense of fair play and love of harmony! Over to you, Dr. PLay, seems like a revolution is brewing LOL! Cheers all, Willyum

daffydill said:
November 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Since this discussion on scoring began, I have looked at the Top 50 Leaderboards a little more than usual and I notice on the Cryptic Crossword leaderboard there are usually about half the people all on the score of 19840. I also notice that there are seldom two people on the same score on other leaderboards. Perhaps Dr Play could explain how this phenomenon occurs?

daffydill said:
December 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Once again I have scored 19840 on today's Cryptic, the second time in a week. The top 50 leaderboard shows from # 19 everyone on this 19840 score. My Christmas wish is for someone from YouPlay to tell me how this occurs, seemingly ONLY for the Cryptic. The question has been asked several times previously!