WHICH person was a serial killer?

Marilyn Manson
Billy Ryan
Jeffery Dahmer
Steve Martin

YP Book Club Update

Jun
2009

By Jessie

Recently I blogged about starting a series of YP Community Clubs including a Book Club, Craft Club and a Cooking Club. Well I'm pleased to announce that after a good response planning is now well underway and you'll be able to join a Club (or three!) over the coming weeks. Excited? Yes!

First up: the YouPlay Book Club. To kick things off, you can vote for which genre of book you would like to read first in the latest Poll. This will run until Wed 24th when I will create a new Poll with a list of titles featured from the winning genre. The winning title of that Poll will be the first book to be read by YP Book Club members - too easy!

The Club will launch on the 1st July - and we'll choose a new book every month, rotating the genres each time. Look out for the Official Book Club page over the coming week where you will be able to sign up as a member and invite your friends to take part.

Readers: don't be shy! To get those literary juices going, I'm challenging everyone who reads this blog to add a comment with the following info:

1. Favourite book you read as a child
2. Book that changed your life
3. Favourite book of all time*

Never fear Craft and Cooking lovers! These Clubs are also a-comin', and in the meantime if you have any ideas or suggestions about potential Club activities, processes, or just general comments - don't forget to post them in this thread! Remember, these are your Clubs, and we'll do our very best to accommodate requests.

Breaking News:
You may have noticed some site tweaks as our delightful Dev Team work diligently to make your YP experience the best it can be. Pay a visit to the Member's List - it now also functions a global leader board, displaying total points for all time! Can anyone catch Kazby?

Jessie x

*If you're interested, MY answers are:**

1. The Magic Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton
2. Leaves of Grass - Walt Whitman
3. The Secret History - Donna Tartt

**(Well, that's what they are today anyway - but as an out and proud bookworm I'm partial to changing my mind on an hourly basis!)

Have your say - comment on this blog

YP Book Club Update

June 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I agree with liesl about not too gory, but i would love to read Gallipoli:the end of the myth the only problem being it is an expensive book to buy!

oldgal said:
June 22, 2009 at 11:38 PM

What a good idea! Mysteries are a favorite. Favorite book when I was a child was "Dicken Among the Indians"; favorite grown-up book is "To Kill a Mockingbird". Think almost every book read was an influence in some way or other!

judo1 said:
June 23, 2009 at 7:20 PM

The Day of the Triffids is the answer to all three categories. It was the first book I read & I loved it so much I've been reading ever since, so it did change my life.

June 23, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I have a suggestion of an Austalian author of Crime/detective fiction novels. Kerry Greenwood. She is a Melbourne lawyer also. She has written a series of detective books, about a 1929 period detective, Phrynie Fisher. Also a series more or less current, about a woman called Corinna Chapman, "baker and reluctant investigator" to quote the author. Excellent stories, crime, people's badness and goodness, wonderfully weird and interesting characters, most interesting mysteries.

harkaz said:
June 23, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Great idea. I can't wait to start. I didn't have a favorite when I was a kid, I loved everything I could lay my hands on. I don't have any favorite books in particular now either, but I love thrillers, mysteries, horrors, romances and the list goes on!

kiwi_girl said:
June 24, 2009 at 6:36 AM

i thin its a great idea,by the way my favourite book was the big friendly giant

swan1965 said:
June 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM

my favorites books as a child were may gibbs ,snugglepot & cuddlepie.also dorothy hall,the adventures of blinky bill.which ive been reading to my 10 yr old girl at nite shes now loving these books.

kalori said:
June 24, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Fave as a child: Snugglepot & Cuddlepie - May Gibbs Changed my life: Ishmael - Daniel Quinn Fave of all time: Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

June 24, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Fave when young - Diary of ann Frank Book that changed my life - Black Hawk Down Fave of all time - Clan of the Cave Bear (entire series by Jean M Auel)

membsec said:
June 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Favourite current author is Henning Mankell (Swedish crime writer) and his Inspector Wallander series. Past books of real consequnce are Steinbeck's "Grapes of Wrath" and Frank Hardy's "Power Without Glory".

Anglican said:
June 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Favourite book as a child was 'Four Plus Bunkle'. Read it again recently and wondered why we all loved it! Most influential book is the Bible - not sure it 'changed' my life as it has always been there, but it certainly is my 'manual for life'. Favourite book of all time is 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' (Harper Lee) - and no, I haven't seen the film as the pictures are already clear to me.

spicecake said:
June 25, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Favourite book was Enid Blyton Secret Seven fantastic idea for a book club and craft culd cant wait

snoteze said:
June 25, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I'm sad that I could only nominate one genre.... as many are my favourites.. I'm a volunteer Narrator and have recorded over 50 books now for the vision impaired, and they've been from many and varied sources. It's so gratifying to be able to help these people, and at the same time receive so much enjoyment reading books you'd otherwise probably not be exposed to. (Any possible volunteers can email me for details if they want!)

June 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I've voted for Alexander McCall Smith, but only if it's one of the Number One Ladies Detective Agency series. I don't like his Scottish ones at all. Precious Ramotswe IS precious, and the stories are so well-written, I feel as though I know Botswana now.

June 25, 2009 at 3:18 PM

1. Any book I could get my hands on. 2. The Treatment and The Cure was the book that changed my life. Author is Peter Kocan.

June 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I forgot to add that my favourite book of all time is also the book that changed my life forever. My favourite authors are GRISHAM,PATTERSON,PICOULT,COURTENAY and MACOMBER. I am looking forward to the July 1 release of PRAIRIE TALE by Melissa GILBERT. She played Laura Ingalls on THE LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE.The book tells about the secrets and the scandals behind the scenes of the show. Could there have been any on such a wholesome show. Please excuse the lack of question mark at the end of the question. I am just learning about the computer.

santilla said:
June 25, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Favourite book? Where to start... I cant think of one that was my favourite as a child because I read so many, but I was always looking for new Biggles books (by Captain WE Johns) and since there were about 150, I probably always found one. There hasn't been a book that changed my life because they all do for a while. Currently my favourite book would be People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks, followed by maybe Dirt Music by Tim Winton which I read while sailing off Broome - just the right place to be to see it all.

knucklez said:
June 26, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Favorite Book as a Child: 'The Secret Garden' by Frances Hodgsen Burnett; 'A Wrinkle in Time' by Madeleine L'Engle; Book that Changed My Life: 'Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives' by Wayne Muller; Holy Bible; Favorite Book of all time -- how is this possible? 'The Stand' by Stephen King; 'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd; Lori

Muffy said:
June 26, 2009 at 7:33 AM

I loved "A Wrinkle in Time" as a child. My favorite is "Pride and Prejudice;" I read it every year and have gone through 3 copies so far. All of Austen's works rank high on my list. There is no one book that has changed my life, many books have changed me in many ways. As to what to read: I side with Liesl and the others who do not want detailed gory descriptions. Hate that! I read most anything, but classics, mystery, romance and biography are my favorite genres.

Xrosie said:
June 26, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Had no particular favourite, but was reading Mills and Boons in primary school. Will try anything now, but prefer Historic Romance.

fraulein said:
June 28, 2009 at 3:48 PM

My favourite children's story was Heidi. As an adolescent it was To Kill a Mckingbird and favourite book of all time is Pride and Prejudice.

June 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM

not bad

maryf said:
June 29, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Favourite books as a child, Moomintrolls, Tove Jansen but also loved Uncle Tom's Cabin, now that ages me. Can't think of a book that changed my life but many science fiction writers made me think..I Robot Isaac Asimov and definitely Farenheit 451 Ray Bradbury also his short story The Pedestrian. Favourite book so hard to choose, but many authors are much easier..Stephen King, Wally Lamb, Witi Ihemira.. and the list can go on..

freckle said:
June 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Favourite book as a child was called, The House that sailed away. (Can't recall the author but I remember the teacher who introduced it to me. Thanks Mr Gaudron.) Favourite book of all time is, at the moment, Jessica by Bryce Courtney. As for a life changing book, I've yet to read it.

jaffajaf said:
June 30, 2009 at 11:17 AM

1. Favourite book you read as a child 'The Twits' by Roald Dahl 2. Book that changed your life 'Rosie Little's Cautionary Tales for Girls' by Danielle Wood 3. Favourite book of all time 'The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' by Douglas Addams (the whole series)

June 30, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I have a new life changing book - Gallipoli the end of the myth. Brilliant book a must read biography of WW1 not 1 person inparticular but the war.

plod said:
July 02, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Favourite books as a child, Enid Blyton's Famous Five and Secret Seven books. There is no one book that changed my life and although I tend to read a lot of Murder Mystery and Thriller type books, I will read anything - even the ingredients on the cereal box of a morning. I cannot look up a word in a dictionary as I end up reading that as well. Hopeless case I am afraid. Really interesting to see what other people around the world read.

lgking63 said:
July 04, 2009 at 1:56 PM

my favourite book as a child was Ethel turners Seven little Australians. I have read many books over the years and all have changed me a little bit. My favourite books are usually crime/mystery writers also have got into fantasy books. Favourite reads are the silver sword, Seven little Australians, To Kill a Mockingbird, Gone with the Wind, Mascha, pride & prejudice and all the Stephanie plum series by author janet evanovich

catmother said:
July 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM

my favorite series when I was younger is the Redwall Abbey series-all the char.are animals.I like Mercedes Lackey and the Bible is the mosy important book-ever

catmother said: