Which musical featured the song "The Rain In Spain"?

"Man From La Mancha"
"Fiddler On The Roof"
"My Fair Lady"
"The Sound Of Music"

Remember this!

Aug
2012

By Christine Lovatt

Nowadays, we have so much more to remember than our parents’ generation. They may have had more children, and so more names to remember, but we have pin numbers for bank accounts and passwords for just about everything.

As we get older, we accumulate more and more life facts. So it’s natural that when we can’t recall someone’s name we start to panic – I’m losing my memory!

But apparently, what’s far more common than losing your memory is living with the fear of losing it.

Nina King, managing director of Brainpower Training, says that unless you shift information from the primary or short-term memory to the secondary or long-term memory, it is normal to forget more than you remember.

To commit facts to memory, we need to make up memorable mental piDon't forget!ctures or devise mnemonics to help us, such as ‘30 days hath September’.

Whenever I’m travelling overseas, I say to myself PATWAG. Then I remove the vowels, so that the consonants remind me to pack the essentials – Passport, Tickets, Wallet and Glasses. Anything else I forget can be replaced.

Dr Marie Gibbs, from Melbourne's Monash University says “some 90-year-olds have perfect memories. Memory deterioration varies, and can depend on the amount of stress in your life. Also, as we get older and life gets busier, it just gets harder to remember everything you are trying to remember.

"Doing things that interest you to keep your brain active may be the key to warding off memory deterioration. Doing crosswords, reading and hobbies all increase the number of brain neuromodulators, the transmitters that determine whether something is remembered or not."

Now, can you remember the name of the company Nina King is the director of? If not, maybe you’re not doing enough crosswords!

Happy puzzling!

Christine

Remember this!

mommyscat said:
August 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I had a senior moment the other day. While chatting to a friend on the phone, I said I was glad of visits I had from some friends recently while recovering from an op. These were friends we have in common, but do you think I could remember their names?? No. I blame it on the pain meds though :).

August 23, 2012 at 2:31 PM

My senior moments are starting to join together... senior minutes, senior hours. Now, what was the question?

nan_j said:
August 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM

so funny kragzy ... just keep counting down from 100 by 7 and if you get to 65 you are ok ... trust me I know :)

August 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

hehe kragzy .good one .i try and keep the old brain active as have had mum with dementia . now have an aunt with it so know how important it is .now to try and get to nanna and birdie in quizz

August 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM

August 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I have always found it difficult to remember names. Not just people's, names of objects also. Since early adulthood (teens? maybe then too, can't really remember.) So I do not consider that I am in any way becoming senile. I also do remember what was said just a few minutes ago. And as far as I am concerned, that is good enough. Naturally reading books, magazines (they are mostly rubbish though, but I receive them for the xword puzzles) and ABOVE ALL Lovatt's puzzles, both Christines private site and the YouPlay site keep me occupied and happy in my retirement.

August 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I'm a clutterbug - for the simple reason that if I put something away, I might as well go out and buy a new one. I do make a mental note of where I've put it, but it goes smack into my forgetory, not my memory. Other than that little problem, I'm not too dotty - I hope.

August 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I think I had more trouble with my memory when I was about 10/12 yrs old. I lived in a very small rural town which only had 2 shops being a milkbar and a butcher shop. I can remember having a blue Hartley pushbike which my parents had purchased new for me. We lived about 200 yds from the shops and because I had a bike I was always the one to run messages. The milkbar also had a small dairy out the back and we bought our milk there suitably tipped into our billycan with a one pint ladle. I would love to have a quid for every time I got home without my pushbike having leant it against the milkbar's front fence and then forgotten it was there and walking home without it. Thank goodness it was always still there and sometimes it was the next day before i realised it was missing from home.

rockhen said:
August 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM

i was once informed that if you realise you are forgetful of common things especially in our busy lives these days, then you are going OK, it's when you don't realise that you are forgetting things then you are in trouble. Um what website am I on now?

August 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM

hello

August 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM

they were the days pedro .. not any more which is a shame

footsteps said:
August 26, 2012 at 12:37 PM

im looking forward to it think of the new people you will meet everyday, lol cheersfootsteps

kemiker said:
August 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM

PIN number - tut tut!!!

August 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM

When my mum developed Dementia, well, she was never happier nor more content. She truly lived in the moment. Not so good for the rest of us though. But her aura of peace and pleasure in simple things gives me hope for my own likely future.

August 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Is that my problem, too much stress?? ahha - I better start doing the daily crossword then!

Alozza said:
August 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Memories light the corners of my mind, misty water coloured memories of the way we were. Remember the song? Barbara Striesand classic. reading the comments made me burst into song. lucky for you nice people out there in puzzle land there is no sound with my comment. I must hurry now, back to my puzzles.