Between 1985 and 1991, which country had a currency named the 'austral'?

Words to treasure

By Christine Lovatt

Everyone has favourite words, which elegantly roll off the tongue or summon up  joyful scenes. When I asked around the office, I received some wonderful contributions.

Some were chosen for the sound – such as indubitably and exotic. Deliquescent (you’ll have to look up the meaning) sounds exquisite. Specific & twelfth are a challenge - you have to concentrate on pronouncing them. Tamariki (the Maori word for children) has a pleasing sound, too.

Words chosen for both sound and meaning are spindrift, the spray blown up from the sea and zephyr, a soft and gentle breeze. Mellifluous flows like honey and means smooth and soothing and cornucopia sounds like and means an abundance.Honey Pot

Other words you might just like to say, such as altruistic, queer, loquacious and succinct.

Some are just fun and a bit different. Plebeian means common or vulgar and boondoggle means futile work. Fubsy is short and squat, and sounds it. Pepo is a melon or cucumber and slubberdegullion (what a great word!) is a worthless person.

Irish words have a beautiful wildness to them, such as spree and hooligan.

Well that’s enough of these shenanigans for me - what's your favourite word?

Happy puzzling!

Words to treasure

gneaton said:
July 04, 2012 at 12:26 PM

My son's favourite word is smote as in "I smote my enemies"

July 04, 2012 at 6:57 PM

my favourite word is papillon. Both for the pronunciation, and the fact that it means both butterfly (and a nicer sounding word than the English one, although butterfly sounds good too)and for the fact that my dog is a papillon, and the breed is truly aptly named.

KevinF said:
July 05, 2012 at 5:41 AM

This latest thread got me thinking about my favourite words. I quickly came to the conclusion that I tend like the sound of certain words rather than their meaning. For example "cataclysm" and "prolapse". The word I've trained my dog to obey is "hither" as in "come hither, Jess" The other dog walkers think I should be sectioned but hey, Jess always comes back to me....

KevinF said:
July 05, 2012 at 6:08 AM

P.S. Why has the word "anagram" got no anagrams? Just a thought........

synergy said:
July 05, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I feel'Elan'seems to be the prettiest word, it's definition is 'energy, style, enthusiam'. Although the definition is quite different the beauty of the word seem to evoke notions of lightness, beauty and grace.

Xrosie said:
July 05, 2012 at 7:38 AM

My favourite word is MUM, because it means my family is near and I am able to talk to them

gm1951 said:
July 05, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Love "serendipity" - has a nice ring to it & sounmds capricious

July 05, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I have always liked serendipity too. I like saying the word and it suits the whimsical meaning. Hey, I like whimsical too. Maybe I'm just off with the fairies.

July 05, 2012 at 6:23 PM

My favourite at the moment is curmudgeon. Describes me (surely not my partner, though the word sounds masculine).

July 05, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Chocolate...rolls off the tongue and lingers while the tastes are remembered. ....Aaaaahhhhhh. Schizophrenia is an interesting word to say and I also relate to it as the piece of music by the same name which was fun to play with its contrasting moods. One set of words which makes me baulk is whenever I use "had had" in a sentence......seems so odd and disjointed.

July 06, 2012 at 5:52 AM

C-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e.... Aaaahhhhh!

Siouxsie said:
July 06, 2012 at 4:37 PM

My favourite word is quagmire - don't ask why cos I don't know.

July 06, 2012 at 5:51 PM

A couple of my favourites would have to be 'capricious' and 'candour', just love the sound of them.

July 06, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Serene is one of my faves.

July 07, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I like my Lovatt's. Should become part of the Australian vernacular for fourth estate's challenging pass time.

July 07, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Many long years ago, learning the names of drugs, I loved saying "phthalylsulphathiazole". It has quite a rhythm to it, and is pronounced just as it looks. Then I tried saying it with a lisp, and it sounded even better!

Frin05 said:
July 08, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I quite often say to my young grandchildren - Get'n zee doon! I don't know when I made it up but they know they have to get down from where they are without me having to explain it.

Loran8 said:
July 09, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I have a few favourite words - pestiferous, ignoramus and nefarious..... just love the look I get when I use any of them in a sentence....

pdiaco said:
July 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Gps,cruise control, laptop, internet, mobile phone,credit card, email are just some of my favorite words. How can you have a meaningful life without them?

July 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

GPS??? Pdiaco, no way! My daughter made me loop around the block at Surfers while traveling north to Southport. Why? Because the GPS told us to...

deeneecee said:
July 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

My favourite word is idiosyncracies. I have never forgotten the look on my daughter's face, when I told her "It's just one of life's little indiosyncracies," when she was complaining about something trivial.

Bootysmum said:
July 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Floccinaucinihilipilification is a fantastic word that means worthless! The first time I heard it was on a UK word quiz programme - I was watching it with my Mum and we looked at one another and burst into gales of laughter. Such a long word to mean so little!

luddite said:
July 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Hey, pdiaco, I,m fairly sure people such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Isaac Newton & Louis Pasteur led reasonably meaningful lives, and yes, I know this probably explains my pseudonym.